CCV - Photography Instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg,

Look for the big guy with a Red Sox hat!

What kind of camera, housing and strobe did you get?

Chuck

I have to throw in a definite "must-dive" suggestion. Have them take you to Anka's Place. It is the one dive site that was most damaged by the recent earthquake near Roatan. An entire wall just sheared off and fell to the ocean floor, leaving a huge blank slate. When we dove this site four weeks ago, there were already signs of re-generation occurring. We found a sand diver and 3 sets of banded coral shrimp already setting up house on the "new" blank wall.

This is a once in a lifetime chance to observe the formation of a "new" reef from the very beginning!

Hey train_ga,

Friendly Reminder: As you learn to use your new rig, please be especially cognizant about not harming the coral. I'm not saying you won't be, but, I've seen a lot of photographers trash coral to get a picture when they could find about 20 "better" photos with a google search off the internet of whatever object/fish they're trying to shoot -- especially with a new camera.

In my experience, about 20% of photographers do an excellent job of not harming the reef, 40% are ok, and 40% should have the cameras broken over their heads. Its the last 40% that really annoy me (pet peeve).

If you're training with Tim, I've heard he drills buoyancy control into his photography students.

I'll be down at CCV in 4 weeks. Good luck with the new rig.

Chuck - I have a canon G10 with fix housing and an inon s-2000 strobe. I will keep an eye out for you.

Berick:

Friendly Reminder: when posting on someones thread it would be great to receive constructive tips and "better" practices for newby photographers to help better protect the coral as opposed to a diatribe which doesn't really shed much light on how I can be a more responsible underwater photographer.

I think most (if not all) beginners are trying to familiarize themselves with a rather large and cumbersome piece of equipment and if their lucky, get a couple pics in the process which actually look like a fish. There will probably be a point in my learning curve when I will most likely (and unintentionally) fall within your bottom 40%. That being said, myself and I'm sure all of the other photo beginners would welcome your corrective advice and technique recommendations and would hope you would keep any nonconstructive comments/feelings to yourself as they don't do us or the coral any real good going forward.

Thx

I thought someone might take offense to my post after I read it --there was a rant that probably shouldn't have been included. My tip(s) is just be aware of you surroundings and work on great bouyancy (motionless hoovering). This will allow you to get close to your subjects which is the real art to underwater photography.

I'm not saying people never make mistakes and bump reefs -- everyone does at sometime (some fewer than others). Its just some people hold still and don't do any more damage while floating out, while, others just fin through the coral with reckless abandon. Then some -- saw this at CCV in January -- get mad at the DM for pointing out their activities and grab a chunk of coral and crush it when he's not looking.

Underwater Photography Tips&Tricks by Stephen Frink: Photo Etiquette in the Digital Age

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom