CDWS Closed my Ministry of Tourism?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that any minister right now would not want to interfere with a court ruling and more importantly distance himself from people who are suspected of impropriety. I am convinced that when the minister is made aware of the circumstances surrounding diving, CDWS and their outstanding conflict with the Egyptian Diving and Lifesaving Federation, he will reconsider the matter of CDWS or at least its board members.

Last edited:
The EULF was worse than the CDWS could ever be in terms of corruption!
Licences could be bought at any time for 4000.- LE and so on. Also buying CMAS-instructor licences was absolutely no problem. I know of egyptian CMAS-instructors who can´t even read and write...

Give me names. Who were taking the cash and issuing the licenses?

I made many inquiries into the matter I have reliable information that no decision have been taken with regard to CDWS or even any other tourist chambers. The article is inaccurate.

My advice for people in the dive industry to regard CDWS as dissolved until such a time as an official statement is released from the ministry and from CDWS itself. I consider their existence right now to be in violation of a court ruling and a minister order.

I made many inquiries into the matter I have reliable information that no decision have been taken with regard to CDWS or even any other tourist chambers. The article is inaccurate.

My advice for people in the dive industry to regard CDWS as dissolved until such a time as an official statement is released from the ministry and from CDWS itself. I consider their existence right now to be in violation of a court ruling and a minister order.

Your "reliable information" is not reliable, at all. :D

Here's an email from CDWS:

Dear colleagues / members of CDWS,
This is to inform you that the Minister of Tourism has dissolved the board the Egyptian Tourism Federation (ETF) and the five boards of Tourism Chambers.
The Minister, Mr. Mouneir Fakhri Abdel Nour appointed new boards for the 5 chambers and the ETF. The current CDWS board members that will run the organizations for two months until elections are held are:
Mr. Hesham Gabr Chairman
Mr. Zeyad M. ELBassel Vice chairman
Mr. Omar Adly Abdel Aziz Treasurer
Mr. Hamed Salaheldin Abdalla Board member
Mr. Zoheir Khair ELdin Board member

CDWS would like to clarify the following:
1. All five tourism Chambers continue to perform their work and services to members by its administrative organization as usual. CDWS - of course - will continue working through its branches in South Sinai and the Red Sea.
2. All the functions, mandates and duties of the five tourist chambers remain the same. This includes CDWS assigned duties and responsibilities for the diving and water sports tourism industry in accordance with Resolution 16 of 2008 and Resolution 730 of 2009 as part of Egyptian Tourism industry with the MoT.
3. There is no truth at all that sentences or decisions of any administrative authority has cancelled the role of CDWS as the only entity supervising the diving and water sports tourism industry in Egypt.

CDWS members are continuing to provide quality services to tourists in accordance with the international standards.

Dear colleagues; please do not listen to rumours promoted by some immoral people in their desperate effort to demolish the success and accomplishments of members and CDWS, including marketing, promotion of our destination and services provision in accordance with the international standards.

CDWS promises to keep you informed and updated with all developments promptly, clearly and explicitly as usual.
Please do not hesitate to contact your chamber if you have any questions or need more information.

Best wishes,

Zeyad M. ELBassel

Executive Director of the Chamber
March 22, 2011

Not convinced until I get confirmation from the ministry. If it then turned out to be true, there will be a lot to be done about it.

What exactly is it with them and immoral people!

But here is the important question, what are dive center owners, guide and instructor doing about it? Has their been an effort to inform the ministry of our concerns?

The statement about providing quality services to tourists is an interesting one. Is that their mandate? Because if it is it would explain a lot how little they did for the dive professionals.

Now that's a wise Minster of Tourism. I'm looking forward to people working with the ministry and reporting any act or corruption directly to the minister.
I have a feeling some people are not done yet with Hisham Gabr and some investigating will reveal a pattern of corruption for which he will have to answer.

Arabic interview with the Minister:

عمرو أديب و محمد شردي :: وزير السياحة وملف الغواصين وتأشيرات الحج والمرشدين السياحيين

Back
Top Bottom