Question Cervical Disc Arthroplasty - diving after receiving artificial discs (Mobi-C)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wskp530

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I had a cervical discectomy and implantation of two artificial discs (Mobi-C) at C5/6 & C6/7 on July 7th. I've searched far and wide for any information regarding diving after this type of surgery. However, I mostly found testimonies from divers who've had ACDF (fusion) surgeries and none from people who received artificial discs.

I reached out to DAN and got a semi-vague response stating to allow enough time to let the scar tissue heal to avoid DCS and that there wasn't much scientific information regarding artificial discs and diving. They mentioned the possibility of "saturating the implants" and potential issues with off-gassing.

Has anyone had cervical discectomy with artificial disc replacement? If so, how long did you wait post-op before diving?

Are there any technical divers here who have artificial discs? Any complications with decompression dives?

I do far more technical dives than recreational so I'm hoping these new discs aren't going to be a forever issue.

Thanks!

Hello,

I had a cervical discectomy and implantation of two artificial discs (Mobi-C) at C5/6 & C6/7 on July 7th. I've searched far and wide for any information regarding diving after this type of surgery. However, I mostly found testimonies from divers who've had ACDF (fusion) surgeries and none from people who received artificial discs.

I reached out to DAN and got a semi-vague response stating to allow enough time to let the scar tissue heal to avoid DCS and that there wasn't much scientific information regarding artificial discs and diving. They mentioned the possibility of "saturating the implants" and potential issues with off-gassing.

Has anyone had cervical discectomy with artificial disc replacement? If so, how long did you wait post-op before diving?

Are there any technical divers here who have artificial discs? Any complications with decompression dives?

I do far more technical dives than recreational so I'm hoping these new discs aren't going to be a forever issue.

Thanks!
What did your surgeon tell you about activity level after you recover?

Re diving specifically, if you're in San Diego you have the superb staff at the UCSD hyperbaric unit nearby. Recommend you reach out to them.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @Duke Dive Medicine ,

At the post-op appt 2 weeks ago the surgeon had some x-rays ordered and said they looked good. He told me to take it easy and live my "normal" everyday life until physical therapy (which starts this Friday). I'm hoping the PT appts will shed a little more light as to what I can/can't do as far as activities in the near-term future.

Thanks for the UCSD suggestion, my healthcare is through the UCSD Health system so maybe I can get a referral to a diving doc. I'll definitely inquire about that at my next appt with my surgeon.

I know artificial discs are somewhat newer especially compared to the gold standard of fusion, but I figured there has got to be some people out there (both recreational and techies) that have had this type of surgery.

Back
Top Bottom