CESA from 100 feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can it be done, of course it can. It was standard submarine school training for decades. Should it be done? When the only other option is dying, you betcha!

Remember the saying, 'We can fix bent, but we can't fix dead."

Dragon2115:
Remember the saying, 'We can fix bent, but we can't fix dead."

However "bent" can often be permanent and "embolised" is usually fatal.

Rather than do that its far better to eliminate any need for a free ascent by proper training and equipment.

here is an interesting question... I obviously haven't had much diving experience but im curious if you are going up and have air in your BC. Can you draw air from the BC for a breath instead of letting it out. I can imagine this being not a good idea since you can sink back down if you dont have enough air in the bc, but if you are properly weighted it shouldnt be a huge problem. As I am a newbie... please correct me.

String:
However "bent" can often be permanent and "embolised" is usually fatal.

Rather than do that its far better to eliminate any need for a free ascent by proper training and equipment.

Mlody11:
here is an interesting question... I obviously haven't had much diving experience but im curious if you are going up and have air in your BC. Can you draw air from the BC for a breath instead of letting it out. I can imagine this being not a good idea since you can sink back down if you dont have enough air in the bc, but if you are properly weighted it shouldnt be a huge problem. As I am a newbie... please correct me.
In an emergency, yes. There is no telling what may be growing in there but at that point that is the least of your worries.

Joe

During Submarine training in the late 80's at HMS Dolphin in England did a 100 ft cesa. Just don't hold your breath!

You'll feel like you run out of air but then the feeling goes away...

I don't recommend you attempt. They use safety divers

My belief is a cesa from 100 ft is MUCH less likely to result in death than attempting to breath from your BCD.

Have to admit I'm curious -- there's nothing inherently posionous to a BCD. Might be musty, but not likely to contain the plague.

markfm:
Have to admit I'm curious -- there's nothing inherently posionous to a BCD. Might be musty, but not likely to contain the plague.

CO2 build up leading to lights out, bouyancy control, panic, pressing and releasing the damn button. A little too much work shall we say in an emergency. Just blow and go all you need to do is go up and remember not to hold your breath, exhale a tiny bit and look up at the surface that will keep your airway open. If you get bent you get treated.

Waaaay too much work, think I'll stay with the pony :)

I know that my AOW instructor did an ESA from about 90'. He had his camera with him and had enough time while ascending that he was able to set his camera down on a ledge of the wall he was diving, hopped back on the boat, tanked up got back in, grabbed his camera and joind back up with the group he was diving with and they did not even know he was gone.

I know the above sounds bad but I am leaving out a lot of details not pertinent to the question.

Breathing from a BC can be done (and in fact was trained at one early stage with them). Its not recommended as you will eventually get CO2 issues and risk of infection is high. OTOH on the surface with a chest infection is better than on the bottom breathing water.

As for 90ft free ascent followed by another immediate dive.. Crazy. Nitrogen loading and microbubbling probably through the roof.

Back
Top Bottom