Changes in gear, environment, and weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully this isn’t too long winded, I’m sleepy and should be taking care of that before posting, but here we are...

I’m a pretty new diver, but I’m hooked. I bought a Mares Hybrid AT BCD in XL right after OW, but found out the waist was way too big for me (all the other measurements were perfect). I cinched down the cummerbund and dove it through AOW and some other dives. All of this was cold freshwater in Maryland wearing a 7mm. I needed 16-18# to sink comfortably in this and the other jacket BCDs I certified in. After a few weeks I decided I couldn’t do it anymore. My dad liked the BC more than me anyways, so it’s his now.
So I read on here and I rented a BP/W. It was a ScubaPro from a local UTD shop. I basically fell in love with the buoyancy and trim characteristics. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to move around the water at will. Interestingly, with a SS backplate and STA, my only weight was a 2.5# ankle around the tank neck and I was sinking just fine and a hair light with a nearly empty tank.

Well, I’m headed to Cozumel next month. I’ll be in either a 1.5mm or a rash guard. I am shopping around A LOT right now for my new kit. I can’t afford multiple setups right now, so it needs to be something that will work in both locations. The only exception might be to have both an AL and SS backplate if needed.
FWIW I’m 6’4” and about 220-225 and fairly lean. I also need some kind of QR on at least one shoulder because of some mobility issues.

Will I need the AL to not sink like a rock without heavy exposure protection on? Will a 30# wing be sufficient in both locations without being unweildly or struggling to pick me up, or do I need to look at a 35+#? I understand a lot of people carry more lift than they need, but less than I need sounds worse. I want to get right.

So far I’m looking at:
DRIS Mirage 23/38# with transplate
DGX with the dive rite voyager 35# and transplate
Subgravity Paragon in 30# or 37#
An OMS 32# comfort kit from LeisurePro or somewhere
A used ITS JT30 rig I found on FB with everything for $275 (I could add a ITS dual-bladder for my future double adventures for about $200)
There’s also a Deep Outdoors horseshoe wing for sale. Idk about that bladder style, but it’s cheap and includes an Air2...

So there’s my massive, late night word vomit.
If anyone has any thoughts on any of the setups, I’d love to hear them. I’ve read a lot on here and, while companies like DSS, Scubapro, and Halcyon get a lot of attention, I’ve seen very little on DRIS, ITS, Subgravity, and the value difference between DR’s EXP and XT lines.

Also, can anyone explain where the other 10+# of buoyancy came from that allowed me to go from a jacket with 18# to weightless with 6-7# of steel on a BPW?

@TBone will tell you more but I think you only need a 20-25# wing max for what you’re doing. If you want to dive colder waters with thicker than 7mm wetsuits at all, go for the 30 pound.

I dive 7mm and 5mm wetsuit in some damn big swells occasionally and wear 8kg max and can float ok at the surface. If you’re in big waves don’t get a bigger wing get a snorkel for the surface.

30 is a good all-around wing for 7mm suit or less. I personally use a 25 but I don't dive terribly deep locally in my 7mm, where I might need some extra buoyancy compensation. The amount of lead being carried doesn't actually matter UNLESS that lead is on the BC. If it's on the BC, then the wing needs to be large enough to float it if the BC every needs to be removed while in water. Outside of that, the wing only needs to compensate for the gas you're carrying and exposure suit compression.

Only reason I can think of for the drastic difference in weighting is that Mares BC was floaty as hell and perhaps the plate and STA you were using were heavier than you though. Let's say the BC was +5lb buoyant and the plate and STA weigh 8 lbs together. That's a 13lb drop right there.

Here's a tool to let you know how big a wing you'll need. Buoyancy, Balanced Rigs, Failures and Ditching – a comprehensive tool
It's more complex than you need for just that calculation, but may be interesting in its own right. As posters above have noted, #35 is probably way more than you need. I'm not as big as you, but I only need a 33# wing for Nor Cal drysuit diving, and an 18# wing for the tropics. Check out VintageDoubleHose.com if you haven't made a purchase yet.

Here's a tool to let you know how big a wing you'll need. Buoyancy, Balanced Rigs, Failures and Ditching – a comprehensive tool
It's more complex than you need for just that calculation, but may be interesting in its own right. As posters above have noted, #35 is probably way more than you need. I'm not as big as you, but I only need a 33# wing for Nor Cal drysuit diving, and an 18# wing for the tropics. Check out VintageDoubleHose.com if you haven't made a purchase yet.

I really need to spend more time playing with that tool. It looks complicated at first glance, but I'm sure it's not that bad.

I was hoping to price compare VDH with the others I was looking at. Unfortunately they still didn't have anything in stock and I wanted to pull the trigger. I went with the IST setup and got everything for $275 to my door. I'm hoping to dive it this coming weekend.

Back
Top Bottom