Changing the dive industry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I recieved some replies...it may not be a gov. agency but with all the agencies out there there is bad divers..due to bad training. It seems like it is all just for the $$$ how many of us tooka course and thought .....what a waste of time? now do not get me wrong ..not all are like that, but some are. YKNOT made a good point....you the diver screws up then he is the one who suffers or his buddy, but should we not be more responsible? I have seen more people question the agency then anything else. I have seen more accidents with new divers comeing off from a weekend cert. course than those in a longer format, why is that and how do we change that. I was also not trying to compare diving to flying only the way pilots are certified compared to flying. I can assure you that cave diving is more technical than flying a cessna 172. 5615Mike made the same point as i am trying to say...sometimes I cannot believe the training I have seen or been involved in.

What's the scariest phrase in the english language? "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Please, no government agency. Perhaps some council of training agencies with adhoc diver members. Need non-commercial members to keep it from becoming "how do we get more money from them?"

The expiring C-card has been popping up a lot lately too. Although I was originally just plan opposed to the idea (see "how do we get more money from them?" above) maybe it wouldn't be too bad if you were only required to show evidence (logbbook) of recent diving experience to stay current.

I'm not opposed to continuing education or improved safety, just government or commercial intervention.

chickendiver once bubbled...
This should make for a good discussion. As most of you know there must be a thousdand different agancies/ shops that cerify all divers. What I would eventually like to see is a standardized national testing agency that would qualify new divers. How many of us has seen poor instruction over the years...how many have seen divers dive on holidays when they were in the water 5 years before. All this gives a bad rap to the industry. A good example of what I am getting at is the flying industry. To be a private pilot you study under a school but the government qualifies you, that way the level of training is maintained. What does everyone think?

I cannot think of a single activity that Government performs more efficiently or at a higher level of quality than the private sector. I cannot imagine any possible justification for allowing any further intrusions into the private lives of citizens.

Accordingly, I cannot think of a worse idea.

Standards could stand for some improvement. However, nothing in its track record leads me to believe that Big Brother will be able to do it. Instead, I'm confident that we would all be back to air diving on singles to 30 feet with our Spare Death's strategically placed about our bodies, all while being overseen by some bozo who slept with the right Representative and who know has a do nothing job supervising dive sites.

Just what we need to make the sport more expensive. Have some guy who works for the gov tell me how I need to dive and look out for my best intrest. Since it's the gov they will have to have a tax to pay for it all and mismanage the funds that are collected.

In the end will have to deal with someone makeing dumb rules that will cost us a bunch to keep in compliance so we can dive within safe bounds that they set. You know how people get when you bring up DIR. How do you think it will be when the Gov steps in to tell you how, when and what eq you can use to dive and I'm sure that it wouldn't be as well thought out or planed as the DIR folks.

I'm not stupid and I can look after my own intrest better than some pencil pusher whos never met me. When you say we need more gov to insure that I dive safely you imply that I can't make reasonable sound decision on my own safety. I think thats the problem with alot of what the gov does. They think they no better how to run my life than I do. They think we're to stupid to handle life so they have to tell us how to live for "our own safety" and look out for us because they know better than we do.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
Just what we need to make the sport more expensive. Have some guy who works for the gov tell me how I need to dive and look out for my best intrest. Since it's the gov they will have to have a tax to pay for it all and mismanage the funds that are collected.

To get a look at a future with the goverment regulating diving read Gary Gentile's "Ironclad Legacy: Battles of the Uss Monitor."

Walter once bubbled...
I will lead the charge for higher standards, but this is a very poor idea.

I agree. It would be great if PADI, et al., raised their standards, but let's face it, the rec diving industry is a money-making proposition, and more divers = more $$$.
However, the last thing we need is more government regulations and cops. There have been postings on this board describing the rules and regulations in other countries (Israel and France come to mind), and they are just too much!

scubacowboy once bubbled...
What's the fatality rate for Ice skaters?

I'm taking this as sarcasm...you think nobody has ever gotten out on ice that is too thin and fallen through and drowned. I have no clue what the stats are, but I can remember, from my childhood in Nebraska and North Dakota, hearing about it happening more than once. I doubt thay were isolated incidents.

Grey warrior once bubbled...
maybe it wouldn't be too bad if you were only required to show evidence (logbbook) of recent diving experience to stay current.

Yeah, except somebody would have to file the paperwork and what not, the updated cert card or stamp or whatever they used, would have to be produced. The folks that do this aren't gonna do it for free.

Chickendiver once bubbled...
but should we not be more responsible?

I am responsible. I drill myself on procedures and technique, try to always plan my dive/dive my plan, practice buoyancy, read reference material on skills, equipment and medical conditions and how they affect diving safety, pick the brains of those who are more experienced and knowledgable than myself. etc., etc. .....just like alot of you all do as well.
Yeah, I think I approach my diving habit in a pretty responsible manner...why should I be penalized (extra cost and hassle of cert renewal) just because some idiot can't do these things for himself.

When is this society going stop trying to get the government (or anyone other than themselves) to do their thinking for them? Go into a hardware store sometime and look at a stepladder. Then count the number of warning stickers on them. It's ridiculous! Do you stop to read 10 warning labels every time you get out a ladder to hang a picture or whatever? Do you think those stickers really keep people from standing on the top step, climbing up the wrong side, leaning way off the side of one, or whatever else? No. It just covers the manufacturer's butt from lawsuits from a socitey that can't seem to grasp the simple fact that WE are responsible for our actions...not the government or big business!

I can see it now. An underwater cop issueing me citations for diveing 60fsw in 40 fsw zone, improper hose routing, failing to maintain a 3 ft safety distance from my dive buddy in a 100' vis and improper display of my 21% gas and MOD.

Yep thats what I need another park ranger to tell me I can't dive in an area because it's a protected marine site unless I have paid the due's and waited six months to get the permit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom