Cheap 1000 lumen dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was in Home Depot the other day and noticed they had a bunch of 1000 Lumen flashlights for sale that were about 12 bucks a piece. I've got a thing for flashlights so of course, I buy one . I was really amazed at how bright this thing was and I got to thinking that it would make a really good dive light. I've made dive lights before and one of the toughest decisions I usually have when I make one is what kind of switch am I going to use, where to put the switch, Etc. With this light though I had the idea of going super simple so I used a smaller PVC fitting that was about a half inch in diameter which I glued to the inside of a PVC end cap I used some other PVC fittings as well as a rubber reducer, quarter inch plexiglass and a hand cut gasket. When I got the whole thing together I left some space in the overall length of the light so that the flashlight can slide forwards and backwards. This allows the switch on the tail end of the flashlight to come up against the half inch PVC fitting glued to the inside of the end cap turning the light on, switching modes and off all without installing installing a separate switch. Total cost for me was about 30 bucks for the flashlight plus materials. I did have quarter inch plexiglass already as some rubber sheeting which I used for my gasket so if you have to buy those it might be a little more. I will mention that I turned one of the PVC pieces on a lathe to take off some material and make it easier to insert to the rubber reducer. You could still probably get that piece into the rubber reducer, it would just be a lot tougher to do so without taking off some of the material.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom