cheap insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeyegregg

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the price of keeping warm in my dry suit has made me a little sick. Searching around for options I discovered that you can buy thinsulate fabric. Utilizing dear mom's sewing skills I could have 420 weight thinsulate underwear for about $60. Has anybody else done this? Am I crazy?

the main reason I like "real" drysuit undies is the jumpsuit design. separate shirt-pants can ride up causing "equatorial chill" unless you are an expert tailor trying to DIY a jumpsuit will be a significant challenge. if you want to insulate on a budget go to EMS/REI and buy appropiate weight polartech pants-jackets-vests and mix and match as necessary. I even DIYd a sort of jumpsuit by sewing a vest to the waist of a pair of pants.

Ha! "equatorial chill". I like that - do you mind if I use it :)

Are you crazy? Well it depends on how good mom's sewing skills are. There are lots of patterns out there, here is a link for a childs snowsuit pant that a good seamstress may be able to alter.
Good luck!
Ber :lilbunny:

I saw a guy in San Diego who wore his Levis, a flannel shirt, and a windbreaker with his drysuit!

AlanDeep:
I saw a guy in San Diego who wore his Levis, a flannel shirt, and a windbreaker with his drysuit!

If he was diving a neoprene suit, he probably could have gotten away with it. Especially in San Diego where they don't have a thing called cold water. Heck, I used to wear a jogging suit under my Unisuit all the time in temps down to about 40. Of course, I'm part Viking so that may explain a few things.

Jim

Depends a lot on the thickness and grade of the Thinsulate.

What kinda fabric is it?

stevead:
the main reason I like "real" drysuit undies is the jumpsuit design. separate shirt-pants can ride up causing "equatorial chill" unless you are an expert tailor trying to DIY a jumpsuit will be a significant challenge. if you want to insulate on a budget go to EMS/REI and buy appropiate weight polartech pants-jackets-vests and mix and match as necessary. I even DIYd a sort of jumpsuit by sewing a vest to the waist of a pair of pants.
300 weight fleece is not even close to sufficient in Northeastern waters... and, besides, a 300-weight Polartec top at EMS run about $100 by itself in the store brand. 300-weight Polartec bottoms, if you can find them, are about the same.

Yeah... Listen to what Jonnythan is saying. He is a real expert on this matter as a former part-time employee at the sport shop. :)

Check out his previous posts. It will give a lot of info...

jonnythan:
300 weight fleece is not even close to sufficient in Northeastern waters... and, besides, a 300-weight Polartec top at EMS run about $100 by itself in the store brand. 300-weight Polartec bottoms, if you can find them, are about the same.

In our 37 degree water a 200 weight fleece garment if comfortable for me, but why would it not be there? Is your water that much colder?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom