Cheap Tropical Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Costa Rica, anyone???

I have read that Costa Rica is not a primo destination, aside from Cocos. Plenty of mega fauna but limited vis compared to my other selections. Plenty of things to do on the SI though.

We have had the same thoughts and have concluded -
Live in the USA and rent for one to three months at a location and then leave it.

Cost more in the short term but you can leave when the storm cometh - and it will!

Boy is that good advice. The storm is currently coming in Roatan.

We looked very seriously at purchasing a 2nd home in Roatan, but am very happy we slowed down and started digging and making more visits. There are a lot of people making changes in their retirement plans and have both emotional and financial regrets in regard to Roatan right now.

Places like St Thomas certainly now have some real positive attributes not weighted so heavily by us a few years ago that now begin to seem much more important. (American territory with US judicial system and financial system)

i've spent 6-8 months a year on utila for the last 5 years and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. however i'm a bit of a hermit (would never consider visiting places like cozumel, st.thomas etc. etc.), living on a beach with no road access and little interest in socializing with most of the expat community. i go to town once a week to grocery shop, other than that i rarely leave my beach, which is exactly the reason i came here.

I have read that Costa Rica is not a primo destination, aside from Cocos. Plenty of mega fauna but limited vis compared to my other selections. Plenty of things to do on the SI though.

We dove the Pacific side of Costa Rica (Guanacaste area) a few years ago and never had an issue with visibility on our dives (we were there in May). I've never been to the Caribbean side (although I have heard that the diving over here is not great), so can't comment, if that is what you were referring to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom