Cheap wide-angle lens. Does it exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What counts for the length of the extension is where the nodal
point of the lens is, not the dimensions of the lens.

This is beginning to get too technical for me! Apart from the (important) fact that the dimensions are almost exactly the same, so that the lens will fit in the port, I was assuming, based on simple multiplication, that a 10-20mm digital lens was optically the equivalent of a 17-35mm analog lens. Is it more complicated than that?

I would go with the 10-17 Tokina fisheye.
It is a great UW lens and gives you so many creative options.
Not so great on land but gets rave reviews for UW work.
I have been using it for about 2 years on a Nikon Dx camera
and it has pulled me away from my 105mm, and I live in a macro [micro]
area. At some point look into a 1.4 tele converter for WA close ups.

I would go with the 10-17 Tokina fisheye.
It is a great UW lens and gives you so many creative options.
Not so great on land but gets rave reviews for UW work.
I have been using it for about 2 years on a Nikon Dx camera
and it has pulled me away from my 105mm, and I live in a macro [micro]
area. At some point look into a 1.4 tele converter for WA close ups.

There are certainly plenty of favourable reviews on the 10-17 Tokina and I did look to see if ther were any used ones with a Nikon mount on e-bay or on a Swedish photography site (Fotosidan.se - Sveriges största mötesplats för fotografer - Fotosidan) but couldn't find any. I am also very uncertain regarding port compatibility and felt more confident that the Sigma 10-20mm would work with my port/extension ring (until Chuck planted a seed of doubt). I already own a 1.4 teleconverter.

Yes, Sea&Sea now has it.

I can't find any mention of a zoom gear on the web, Marcello. Can you help me with a link please?
John

Anyone here have already used the Tokina 11-16mm? There are good reviews about these lens on land.

If you get the Tokina 12-24mm lens, it's also more useful/versatile for land use, unlike FE lenses. I use mine for WA shots/landscapes all the time, as well as underwater. You can get them used in your price range.

If you get the Tokina 12-24mm lens, it's also more useful/versatile for land use, unlike FE lenses. I use mine for WA shots/landscapes all the time, as well as underwater. You can get them used in your price range.

Do you use it in a Sea & Sea housing? If so, with which port/extension ring and with or without a zoom gear?

I can't find any mention of a zoom gear on the web, Marcello. Can you help me with a link please?
John

It is zoom ring #31142 found here.

You can use any of the Nikon NX, DX, MDX or RDX tables found here. Since the 2006 NX Film Series.
The position of the zoom gear inside the housing, in relation to the lens mount when the camera is in the housing hasn't change since well before your amazing NX-100Pro.

In Sea&Sea own words "Zoom gear are lens specific".

Just be careful with some older cheap lenses that have ben upgraded, like the numerous "18-somethings", you gotta be sure you are using it right for the version you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom