Checkout Dives in Oversized Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks close enough and it will let you appreciate the custom fit all the more.

one thing I had found with a to big in the legs suit, squeeze will cause some creasing and folding of the excess material which can cause some adverse pressure points, on me those led to some weird leg cramps.
I also would get unessecary leg cramps from a too tight suit. Didn't even know that wasn't normal until I got a right suit, lol.

It's funny. I think we all had the same reaction. Read the title and first paragraph and thought "Uh-oh" and then saw the picture and it changed to "Eh. That's not that bad."

My only caution would be to use just enough air in the suit to be comfortable (i.e. enough to manage squeeze and cold) and then to use your BC for primary buoyancy control. I think some agencies, notably PADI, still officially teach using the suit for primary buoyancy control, but you don't want several litres of excess gas finding their way to the calves of that suit.

I think some agencies, notably PADI, still officially teach using the suit for primary buoyancy control
The PADI training materials discuss both approaches at the rec level. Of course, individual instructors have their own emphasis, but that's probably true for any agency. (FWIW, PADI tech material is strictly BC for buoyancy.)

I think we all had the same reaction. Read the title and first paragraph and thought "Uh-oh" and then saw the picture and it changed to "Eh. That's not that bad."

+1

My fear was a situation like what killed that woman during her training. So, to OP: make sure you test inflate your BC *and* drysuit before you go in the water…

The PADI training materials discuss both approaches at the rec level. Of course, individual instructors have their own emphasis, but that's probably true for any agency. (FWIW, PADI tech material is strictly BC for buoyancy.)
That's good to hear. When I took the course, the PADI material was unequivocal when it came to rec trilam suits, "For all shell dry suits - that is, anything other than a neoprene dry suit - you will stop using your BCD until you return to the surface. Underwater, you control your buoyancy using only your dry suit, except in an emergency."

My instructor acknowledged this was what was in the text, but taught me to use the BCD anyway.

That's good to hear. When I took the course, the PADI material was unequivocal when it came to rec trilam suits, "For all shell dry suits - that is, anything other than a neoprene dry suit - you will stop using your BCD until you return to the surface. Underwater, you control your buoyancy using only your dry suit, except in an emergency."

My instructor acknowledged this was what was in the text, but taught me to use the BCD anyway.
I didn’t want to follow PADI but that is exactly how I dive now, once I take the squeeze off I’m neutral why add more lead just to use the wing.

I didn’t want to follow PADI but that is exactly how I dive now, once I take the squeeze off I’m neutral why add more lead just to use the wing.
What about offsetting the gas you breathe down from the tank? If you didn't add anything to your wing to stop the descent, then you've got 4-6 lbs of extra lift in your suit (assuming single tank) at the start of the dive. Obviously that isn't a problem for you. But I don't think it's a good idea for the OP and that suit, unless he really wants extra practice on his inversion recoveries :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom