Chemical glowsticks and flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a lot of dive trips posted which specifically state strobes are taboo.

Whats the best place to mount a glowstick (or better a kriana glowstick) and with what. Both have a mounting hole at the top.

Originally posted by Jeblis
I've seen a lot of dive trips posted which specifically state strobes are taboo.

Whats the best place to mount a glowstick (or better a kriana glowstick) and with what. Both have a mounting hole at the top.

I think most people mount them on the yoke (next to the 1st stage.) Then they float above and behind you while you are diving. They don't get in your line of vision, but everyone else can see them.

I usually use a zip tie, but I suppose you could use a split ring or even a small lobster claw if you wanted.

Thanks I got my krill light today...now I know where to put it :D
BTW if anyone is wondering how the Electro Luminescence(EL) works. Its based upon the same chemicals fish use to glow. The DC currect from the batteries is passed through an inverter which changes it into an AC signal that is passed through the chemical in the EL plate(or tube) making it glow. If you hold the light to your ear you should be able to hear a faint/high pitched hum as a result of the AC current in the inverter.

So what is in the glowsticks that harms the environment (other than a plastic stick that probably never breaks down.)?

Originally posted by Jeblis
Like batteries the chemicals are the worst part.

Are you certain about that? Neither of the links you posted suggests that the chemicals don't biodegrade or that they are toxic. My understanding is that they are not toxic at all. Do you have a source that talks about the toxicity?

According to How Stuff Works, one of the products of the chemical reaction is phenol, which is both corrosive and poisonous.

Zept

From the about article:

"Lightsticks are a lot of fun to play with, but the chemicals used in them are not readily available to the average person and may pose health risks outside of their tubes."

I remember seeing a dive charter request that asked people not to bring glowsticks because the chemicals were an environmental problem (they didn't say which one or why)

Is there a chemist in the house?

Back
Top Bottom