Chest pain after second open water dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icedocmo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello,
Today I did two dives for my open water certificate. Everything went well and at the end I had to do the controlled emergency ascend from 5m. I had some equalizing issues so I has to stop at around 2m below surface. And then me and my instructor continued. I think at that pause moment I held my breath... A hour after the dive I was laying down on my back and I start to have continues pressing discomfort in my chest. It gets a bit better on my side but it is really annoying and is stressing me out. The only thing I can find is that it might be DCS or lung problems. Should I just wait and see? It is now a couple hours later and it is still there.
I am a tall guy, so maybe it is just the tight wetsuit?
Sorry if this is the incorrect place to ask this but I am new to this.

Thanks

Are you having ST elevation and did you bump you Traponium? Handful of things could be asked but you are better off checking in at urgent care.

At minimum you find out it is not serous at maximum you get timely care

You are young, I assume healthy. The risk of DCS on an OW certification dive should be very low. The likelihood of areterial gas embolism is probably also low. However, why not call DAN and discuss your symptoms in detail? Seeking acute care is another possible route.

Let us know how you do.

It’s never a bad idea to get it checked out by a medical professional. Did you ascend at all while holding your breath? Holding your breath while diving isn’t an issue in and of itself; it is a problem if you ascend while doing it. Mediastinal emphysema typically causes chest pain, usually behind the sternum.

Hello,
Today I did two dives for my open water certificate. Everything went well and at the end I had to do the controlled emergency ascend from 5m. I had some equalizing issues so I has to stop at around 2m below surface. And then me and my instructor continued. I think at that pause moment I held my breath... A hour after the dive I was laying down on my back and I start to have continues pressing discomfort in my chest. It gets a bit better on my side but it is really annoying and is stressing me out. The only thing I can find is that it might be DCS or lung problems. Should I just wait and see? It is now a couple hours later and it is still there.
I am a tall guy, so maybe it is just the tight wetsuit?
Sorry if this is the incorrect place to ask this but I am new to this.

Thanks
Call Divers alert network and discuss with them please, and follow their advice

DAN Emergency Hotline: +1-919-684-9111

... A hour after the dive I was laying down on my back and I start to have continues pressing discomfort in my chest. It gets a bit better on my side but it is really annoying and is stressing me out. The only thing I can find is that it might be DCS or lung problems.

You should go to a doctor instead of asking random AI bots on the Internet for medical advice, but: are you sure it's your chest and not your stomach? Acid reflux is called "heart burn" for a reason.

Thanks for all the responses,
the continuous stress is behind the sternum, so in the middle of the chest. I did not ascend while holding my breath and I did not bump into something. Today, I snorkled a bit and the pain disappeared mostly. I had to clear a lot by swallowing yesterday, so it might be some air?
DAN hotline is not responding and this is my last day to get the OW certificate. most likely it is some muscle pain, but I just do not know what to do now.

Thanks for all the responses,
the continuous stress is behind the sternum, so in the middle of the chest. I did not ascend while holding my breath and I did not bump into something. Today, I snorkled a bit and the pain disappeared mostly. I had to clear a lot by swallowing yesterday, so it might be some air?
DAN hotline is not responding and this is my last day to get the OW certificate. most likely it is some muscle pain, but I just do not know what to do now.
Given only the information you've provided, it's hard to make any solid recommendations here. Worst case scenario, again given the information in your post, is either a myocardial infarction (heart attack) as described above or mediastinal emphysema (air in the chest cavity) due to pulmonary overinflation. It could also be something as simple as gastrointestinal gas from swallowing air. If this is persisting I would strongly recommend that you be seen in the nearest hospital emergency department.

Best regards,
DDM (not an AI chatbot)

Back
Top Bottom