chest pain and hard to breathe, I need some help here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with TSandM's line of thinking. It's extremely unlikely that your symptoms are related to your dive or climbing the ladder afterwards. Chest pain and difficulty breathing are nothing to mess with. Don't settle for "we don't know what's wrong with you". Keep getting opinions until somebody comes up with a diagnosis for you.

I'm still not happy with exertional chest pain and dyspnea which hasn't been fully diagnosed.

At the risk of stating "the bleedin' obvious", I would strongly suggest not diving until you have a confirmed diagnosis either!

Could be a hernia, such as hiatal hernia. ...

I was thinking of this. IIRC, there have been case reports involving bradycardia, hiatal hernia, and dysautonomia. I have also heard of but don't give much credibility to Roemheld Syndrome; at least not without some concurrent vagal anomaly.

She had an infection of the lining around the lungs

I got a PM, pointing out to me that this description is one of PLEURISY, not pericarditis. Both could be in the OP's differential diagnosis, but I did misinterpret Jax's description, and wanted to correct that.

After all the tests the doctors have finally ruled out heart and lungs. All of them say its my esophagus and are going to scope me to see what is causing the problems. As soon as I get the results I will post it. The one doctor has said that he thinks I could have swallowed a pill and it may have got stuck, dissolved and caused an ulcer. I will find out and let all know. Thanks again for all the responses!

Well, I'm very glad to hear you have been pursuing this, and that the life-threatening things have been ruled out (I hope you had a CT scan as part of this workup!)

After all the tests the doctors have finally ruled out heart and lungs. All of them say its my esophagus and are going to scope me to see what is causing the problems. As soon as I get the results I will post it. The one doctor has said that he thinks I could have swallowed a pill and it may have got stuck, dissolved and caused an ulcer. I will find out and let all know. Thanks again for all the responses!

I couldnt help but noticing that your name implies you are retired Navy, is that true? If so, are you being diagnosed at the VA in Charleston?

This diag seems a bit "fishy" to me. Remember I told you my employee died less than a month ago two days aftere presentation to hospital with chest pain and out of breath. He was sent home being told that he must have sprained his chest muscles while putting something on a shelf in his garage!

Have you had the CT scan as I and TS&M have suggested? Just trying to help a fellow vet. BTW I was a graduate of The citadel in Charleston!

My father had something similar -- chest pains were due to some kind of acid reflux-ey thing (I believe that's a technical medical term) and he just wound up taking one of the proton blockers to fix it.

Has your doc specifically ruled out pulmonary emboli? Cuz it sounds a heckuva lot ike my symptoms when I had them. At least get a d dimer blood test.....

Yes I am retired Navy, June 1976 - June 1996 = (Retnav7696). I have been seen at the VA hospital in Charleston but I also have been to my private doctor. A bunch of nuclear medicine tests, stress test, pulmenary test (blowing in a tube) and now I am scheduled to be scoped on the 5th of November or the 18th. I have had acid reflux since 1992 and have been on medication since. All the doctors at the VA,MUSC, and Roper seem to think it is my esphogas (yes I know I spelled it wrong). At this point I just want to know for sure what is wrong with me and get it fixed. believe me I AM TIRED OF FEELING LIKE THIS! All of the doctors say it is NOT my heart,blood flow,and lungs. But nobody is telling me what it is for sure until I get scoped! I believe the nuclear medicine test were the CT scans. they used radioactive dye on me. I almost forgot. The doctors have now put me on 80 mg of omeprazole (prilosec) twice a day and an additional 300mg of Zantac right before bed. I think I should start buying stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom