Child in class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I took my OW class a few months ago I was the only 14 year old. I made it through the course . It was kinda funny being the youngest person there:)

I've helped out with a class that had a 12yo. He was great. He did have a problem with the gear because he was kinda on the small side, but even with the tank and weights kicking his butt ( pretty much had to carry his gear back up the beach after the dives) he did a good job and loved it. I only wish I had started that young

My sister was certified at 12. She had a bit of trouble with the tables but just had to work a little harder to get over that. She excelled (still does 17 years later!) in the water. The best part however is her gas consumption - she can go forever! I like buddies like that. :)

Paula

There were a few kids in my OWC and everything was generally okay. During the open water dives there was this one kid who looked like he was getting certified to make his dad happy. Dad was definitely more gung ho about it, and the poor kid didn't look very happy in the water. It's not really the kid's fault, but it still impacts classmates.

Classwork isn't really a problem. Most adults haven't been in a classroom in a while, but kids have lots of recent classroom experience.

Reading my origingal post, I'm just wondering why anyone would assume I "have a problem" with the child in class and take that tack with their reply. Was merely curious and thought it might make for interesting discussion. I suppose I just really wondered if it was all that usual to have a mixed adult/child class or if my instructor was bendiing the rules because it was a small class. Anyway, just setting the record straight as to the intent of the original post. Wish I had learned to dive when I was 12! :)

lol sorry must have misunderstood the post

I didn't realise. :)

Didn't mean to offend u

I just finished teaching a father in his early 50's with his 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter.

As usual,the "children" did better on the exams and in water than the "adult" .

"Children" seem to be less phobic about the water and pick up the accademic quickly as it's not boring school stuff.

I had young diver two years ago that really "showed up the old man".

Ron

It's hit or miss with kids as with adults. I've had kids who have aced every exam and are more comfortable underwater than they are on the surface, and I've had kids I've had to help all the way through every skill in the course. Bottom line, PADI (or your agency) sets the age requirements, and kids have the right to be there. If the kid is uptight, a good Inst / DM can be the difference between the kid liking scuba and hating it. But a kid in your class is not your problem - it's the Inst. / DMs problem, assuming he is a problem at all. Do your class according to your ability, and enjoy it. I can assure you the kid is not worried about you at all, and you should feel the same about him.... the worrrry is on his Dad and the Inst / DMs.

~W

I noticed a recent post to this thread so I thought I'd give you'll an update. We are through with the academic part of the course and have moved on to the pool. The little guy did well and I think the instructor did a great job of explaining things on a level he could understand...especially the dive tables and dive planning. In the water he is like a fish - totally comfortable and easily completed the first set of skills taught (mask clearing, etc.), whereas there were a couple of adults who had problems with the mask clearing and survival floating. It's easy to see that he and his dad are already the best of "buddies". In all, it's been a very positive experience so far. No worries :)

Finnatic once bubbled...
<snip> It's easy to see that he and his dad are already the best of "buddies". In all, it's been a very positive experience so far. No worries :)

I just started a class this week with a class of five. One of my students is a 15yo boy and his Mom and soon-to-be Step-Dad are in the class with him. I always love this because it puts all of them at an equal level. For once the boy is in a position where Mom and Dad really DON'T know better than he does and it does a lot to build a youth's sense of self-worth and all sorts of fun things like that. But, it also tends to make the kid/parent "team" more equal when they're diving and that's the part that's really cool... just like you said.... it very often pushes them past family dynamics into being "buddies" and I can think of little that's better for a family than that.

Last night was cool... it was the first night of pool work and everyone was grinning from ear to ear when we got out of the water. That's what I live for... it's one of those classes where as the instructor I get to walk away going "Ohhhhh Yeahhhh!!!" -- I love having kids in my classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom