Choose btw Bahamas/USVI/G-Turk vs G-Cayman/Coz/Belize cruises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

I'm a vacation diver (PADI AOW certified) and my wife learned to snorkel last year. We'd like to take a cruise that would have some ports for good diving/snorkeling. We are considering one of the two cruises, both Aug. 27.

Carnival Elation goes from Miami to Half Moon Cay Bahamas (9am-4pm); St. Thomas, USVI (8-8); San Juan, Puerto Rico (7-3:30); Grand Turk (12-7).

Carnival Miracle goes from Tampa, to Grand Cayman (7am-4pm), Costa Maya (10-6), Cozumel (7-6), and Belize City (7:30-4:30).

Both sounds good, but like to ask for your opinion on which one we might find better diving/snorkeling experience . If possible, we'd like to save by making our own arrangements with dive ops and if possible to have my wife snorkel on top while I dive below. If not, hope she can enjoy the beach till I get back then we go for other shore excursions.

We've been to resorts in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Veradero, Cuba. The diving/snorkeling there were not very good, but south Cuba at Bay of Pigs had very good wall diving. Had been to Bahamas 20 years ago on honeymoon but it was not for diving/snorkeling (were busy on something else, ha). So have not been to these ports before.

If there are good diving near Miami or Tampa, we could also fly down a couple of days earlier.

Looking forward to your comments/suggestions.

To give you an idea of diving/snorkeling possibilities for both itineraries:

First the Elation. So-so diving/snorkeling at Half Moon Cay (only through the cruise line) but fabulous private island. Decent diving in St Thomas. No diving/snorkeling comfortably in San Juan. Fabulous for both diving/snorkeling in Grand Turk.

For the Miracle. Grand Cayman excellent for both, same for Costa Maya with new options starting seemingly weekly, terrific in Cozumel, and decent/good in Belize on diving, interesting on snorkeling.

Thanks. I guess San Juan would be a place to tour around rather than diving/snorkeling.

Sounds like the W. Carribean cruise on Miracle wins out on diving/snorkeling, except it costs $200 more.

Looking forword to more comments. Thanks.

We looked at similar cruises last year and chose the Western intinerary that you're looking at. We LOVED it! We dove in Coz and did the "snorkeling with the stingrays" in Grand Cayman. We talked with several divers on board who dove at all of the ports and they were very happy. My husband and I would both repeat that cruise in a heartbeat.

The major reason for the price difference is the ship, not the itinerary. Elation is one of Carnival's older Fantasy class ships. The Miracle is a much newer ship having launched in 2004. The Miracle will have a few more ammenities on-board and is pretty much your only option if you're looking for a balcony but not a suite.

I'd go with the Miracle. GC and Belize are beautiful.

I'm now leaning more toward the Miracle, with the W Carribean cruise. The ports seem to have better overall diving/snorkeling. I also looked at diving/snorkeling possibilities at the departure port. Unfortunately for the Miracle, Tampa area apparently does not have very good diving. Clearwater does not have clear water. On the other hand, Miami or FLL, or drive 1-hr S to Key Largo, have very good diving/snorkeling. Those are the considerations so far.

It also sounds like Costa Maya and Belize although have good sites, the dive ops there are not as established.

I don't know anything about diving in Costa Maya, but my family and I have dove many times in Belize. There are some great dive ops in Belize, and many different places to dive. The last time we went on a crusie we stopped in Belize and use this tour group called ecotours (http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/tours.html) We decided to do the tour that took us to San Pedro on a little puddlehopper. The dive ops they used was Aqua Dives. They were very helpful and knowledgable about the area. It was the best diving I have experienced. IMHO, to be able to fly over the reef you're going to dive, and then do a two tank dive, fly back and have great service was worth the $140. Plus your wife can snorkle there too!!!
And before you ask, it's safe to fly after this dive, because you never reach a dangerous altitude. Believe me, I called and asked!
I wouldn't miss diving in Belize! Caye Caulker Island is great too!!! Good luck!
~K

Hi.

We have chosen to go on the Carnival Miracle cruise on Aug. 27.

We are beginning to inquire with dive/snorkel ops in Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. The suggestion of ecotours to fly over the reef then dive/snorkel there sounds really interesting. There are only two other dive shops in Belize city where the cruise goes, so the choice in Belize is limited. This one sounds good.

Would love to hear more suggestions on dive ops and other tour info on these places.

Carnival Miracle goes from Tampa, to Grand Cayman (7am-4pm), Costa Maya (10-6), Cozumel (7-6), and Belize City (7:30-4:30).

Carnival Miracle hands down! All 4 have amazing diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom