Choosing a diving spot around Panglao island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Panglao, don't exactly how many days I will dedicate to diving (busy also with other activities)
Panglao.jpg

I would like to choose one of the several diving spots, I will be based in Dumauluan beach which is more or less close to spot marked as 13 in this map

1. Black Forest
2. Marine Sanctuary
3. Rudy's Rock
4. Diver's Heaven
5. Lighthouse
6. Cambakis
7. South Point
8. Pamilacan
9. Snake Island / Cervera Shoal
10. Arco Point
11. BBC (Bohol Beach Club)
12. Crystal Coast
13. Alona Beach
14. Kalipayan
15. Habagat Wreck
16. Puntod
17. Doljo Point
18. Napaling

Dive sites of Panglao, Alona beach, Balicasag, Pamilacan, Cabilao

I would rather avoid dives with strong currents, and I don't dive in caves or wrecks (at least not inside)
I have been told the Marine Sanctuary in Pamilacan is now overcrowded by tourists, perhaps anyway this applies to snorkeling only while diving is less affected
Which one would you suggest?
Thanks

The main area for diving around Panglao is Balicasag Island. There are no bad places to dive there. Yes there will be snorkelers at Balicasag too but they won't interfere with diving at all. I did ten dives there in December and loved it. I did do two dives also at a reef a few minutes off Alona beach--it was ok and better than I thought it would be. Also did two dives at Napling and they were meh. Shouldn't be much if any currents at Balicasag--they are all wall dives there except for the start and end of the dives. How many dives do you intend to do? They do limit the number of divers that can go to Balicasag everyday and each dive op has to request a permit to dive there on any day and tell them how many divers they will have. So be sure to ask the dive op if they have a permit to dive on the day you want to go there. There is always a dive op there that has a permit for that day so you just need to ask.

Thank you very much for the precious and detailed information
I still don't know how many dives I will do there, probably not many
It's not that I wouldn't like to, but I will also travel for other kind of activities and not only diving

Balicasag : just insist to go for the jackfish school, they're often seen on Black forest and Cathedral, a spot which is not mentioned on your plan).
Panglao area : I don't find any dive really worth here, forget spots 10 to 15, ask for going to Puntod, Gak-An (not mentioned) and Doljo.
Pamilacan : recommended but can be currenty
Cabiilao : should be dived from Cabilao, but you know that now.

In Balicasag I did only snorkeling (a pity I know) and even though I saw the jack fish passing by. Will keep in mind the other spots you mentioned for other trips, thank you again for all the good advice Luko

Balicasag : just insist to go for the jackfish school, they're often seen on Black forest and Cathedral, a spot which is not mentioned on your plan).
Panglao area : I don't find any dive really worth here, forget spots 10 to 15, ask for going to Puntod, Gak-An (not mentioned) and Doljo.
Pamilacan : recommended but can be currenty
Cabiilao : should be dived from Cabilao, but you know that now.
Hi, just a quick update on the diving spots you mentioned. Balicasag is still Balicasag. The diving there is excellent. I'm not sure if I agree with you about the Panglao dive sites. Where no. 15 is above is actually Danao Wall. IMO, this is one of the best dive sites around Panglao. You were also correct about Puntod and Gak-Ang. They were great dive sites. Hopefully, this helps. Happy diving.

I'm not sure if I agree with you about the Panglao dive sites. Where no. 15 is above is actually Danao Wall. IMO, this is one of the best dive sites around Panglao.
Oh well, it happens I was back in Alona this week, diving with one of the most experienced guide on the strip, YMMV but I completely assume the assessment I wrote. My feeling about the recent dives (I might post a trip report with photos later on) were that the the best were getting even better while the lesser interesting sites became really poor to dive :
- Balicasag esp. Black Forest was fantastic during full moon. Fish were shooling everywhere, Cudas, Jackfish, Snappers, Mackerels, Bannerfish, Fusilier... I even missed the odd whaleshark.
- Alona locals sites were quite poor critterwise (even less interesting than 5 years ago) apart from 2 spots where you could find bunches of Okenia Nakamotoensis and Kondoi (I hadn't seen so many in the pre Covid years), Danao wall included which was very currenty but remotely interesting in terms of variety. That said I missed another whale shark on Kalipayan wall while I was my head into an Okenia laden cave.
- Doljo wasn't worth the trip AT ALL, very mundane diving, and the sardines school at Napaling was fished out, hence we didn't even bother go.

Oh well, it happens I was back in Alona this week, diving with one of the most experienced guide on the strip, YMMV but I completely assume the assessment I wrote. My feeling about the recent dives (I might post a trip report with photos later on) were that the the best were getting even better while the lesser interesting sites became really poor to dive :
- Balicasag esp. Black Forest was fantastic during full moon. Fish were shooling everywhere, Cudas, Jackfish, Snappers, Mackerels, Bannerfish, Fusilier... I even missed the odd whaleshark.
- Alona locals sites were quite poor critterwise (even less interesting than 5 years ago) apart from 2 spots where you could find bunches of Okenia Nakamotoensis and Kondoi (I hadn't seen so many in the pre Covid years), Danao wall included which was very currenty but remotely interesting in terms of variety. That said I missed another whale shark on Kalipayan wall while I was my head into an Okenia laden cave.
- Doljo wasn't worth the trip AT ALL, very mundane diving, and the sardines school at Napaling was fished out, hence we didn't even bother go.
Hi, I was diving over at Doljo yesterday with Valm Divers and I thought the diving was nice. I have not been over there for a few years, so it was a nice change. We also dive at Puntod Wall on the way back and the top of the reef at the north end was pretty badly damaged from Odette. I like diving at Danao Wall. I guess it depends on the spotter you have with you. Enjoy your trip back to Panglao and hopefully, you will see some cool things.

Back
Top Bottom