Choosing a Reg - Tusa vs HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, just keep up with the maintenance regardless of the make/model and it should bring you years of reliable service. Better to be proactive instead of reactive.

Looks like I stand corrected then :D.

Only a little bit. Your advice on maintaining the gear is spot on. If it's not then the annual inspection can easily turn into a full rebuild with the accompanying increased cost.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Only a little bit. Your advice on maintaining the gear is spot on. If it's not then the annual inspection can easily turn into a full rebuild with the accompanying increased cost.

Yeah I have a old mk15 and D400 both need servicing bad (hand-me-downs). I'm kinda nervous cause I don't know what that may turn into lol

Beaverdivers and Leisurepro advertised a MK11 w/C200 for $249.00, so your LDS should be able to match that price or at least come very close. If you are looking at the Tusa 460 Leisurepro is closing out for $219, that I believe is a MK-16 first with a R380 second. I would spend the extra $30 for the Mk-11/C200 combo, as it should be the better breather.

Hi Jim:

Say the regulator wasn't properly cleaned and has internal contamination (rust/salt/etc). Performance and reliability will suffer, I'm sure. However, what additional parts would it require apart from those provided by the manufacturer's service kits? Can you elaborate on some examples that you have seen yourself? Can you give cost comparison between a "good" case and "bad" case scenario?

Depends on the amount of damage. You could end up needing to replace the reg if the corrosion is severe enough. Usually though what is involved is time. Extra time in the ultrasonic, scrubbing, freeing stuck enviromental caps, cleaning the interior of all spots of corrosion. And even though a careful inspection is always done it becomes more important with a reg that shows signs of neglect. And we can tell the difference between and oops and an I don't give a crap approach to rinsing. And at $45.00 an hour (my labor rate) that can get expensive.

Yeah I have a old mk15 and D400 both need servicing bad (hand-me-downs). I'm kinda nervous cause I don't know what that may turn into lol

If you're uncertain about them I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Interestingly enough those two stages are among the more specialized for service in the SP line. The MK15 has a unique seat, requires a special set of snap ring pliers, and the intelligence to not try to remove one of the bushings that looks like it should be removed. If it's an early generation one and was never serviced, there's an updated seat carrier kit. I think I still have one of those. The D400 likewise needs a tech that is familiar with the reg to get the most out of it. If the soft parts are in bad shape you might have a hard time finding replacements.

But, in good shape, you'd never get a better performing reg set.

Last edited:
If you're uncertain about them I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Interestingly enough those two stages are among the more specialized for service in the SP line. The MK15 has a unique seat, requires a special set of snap ring pliers, and the intelligence to not try to remove one of the bushings that looks like it should be removed. If it's an early generation one and was never serviced, there's an updated seat carrier kit. I think I still have one of those. The D400 likewise needs a tech that is familiar with the reg to get the most out of it. If the soft parts are in bad shape you might have a hard time finding replacements.

But, in good shape, you'd never get a better performing reg set.

I'm going to get rid of them lol, the second stage only developed a small free flow from being in storage and the same with the 1st stage. Before that period of storage the worked fine. I won't be working on them myself Ill have it done, but thanks for the offer anyways :D

Try to make sure that whoever you have work on them is very familiar with these regs. Lots of MK15s have been destroyed by well-meaning techs trying to dig that bushing out. It looks very similar to the replaceable bushing in the MK20/25, but it's permanently installed in the MK15. Mention that to the guy and see what he says. If you get a blank stare, consider going somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "same with the 1st stage" free-flowing, about the only thing I can think of would be a leak at the HP o-ring that would cause a slight leak out the ambient chamber holes. Is that what you mean?

The D400 has a very light spring pressure on a relatively large seat surface, so developing free-flows in storage is pretty unusual. I've got 6 of them (actually D300s) and none have ever done that. What does happen, fairly frequently I suspect, is that the spring gets a bit torqued in the adjustment process, then relaxes a bit with some storage or use. It's really easy to fix, it just needs to be someone that knows the regs. Surprisingly few techs are familiar with these fantastic 2nd stages, and I bet that was a big reason SP discontinued them.

I wasn't trying to worm your reg out of you, I have plenty of them. Too many, really......

I picked up my new reg from my LDS today. Ended up going with the Mk11/C200; my LDS was bang on with the price from LeisurePro and others. It checked out just fine with a bench test and I can't wait to get it in the water for a shallow test dive on Saturday. If all is well there I'll take it with me on a two tank boat trip come Sunday. My LDS was happy to get my business, I got a fair price, so everybody wins. The tech that assembled the reg for me seemed to take issue with my Mares MV octopus. I've never had any issues with it, it's been a solid performer so far (ten dives or so on it, 'twas a Christmas gift) and is nice and compact...should I be concerned or was he just trying to upsell me to an R195 octo?

My, the C200 second is white; like Albino white. At least my buddy will be able to find me. :D

Try to make sure that whoever you have work on them is very familiar with these regs. Lots of MK15s have been destroyed by well-meaning techs trying to dig that bushing out. It looks very similar to the replaceable bushing in the MK20/25, but it's permanently installed in the MK15. Mention that to the guy and see what he says. If you get a blank stare, consider going somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "same with the 1st stage" free-flowing, about the only thing I can think of would be a leak at the HP o-ring that would cause a slight leak out the ambient chamber holes. Is that what you mean?

The D400 has a very light spring pressure on a relatively large seat surface, so developing free-flows in storage is pretty unusual. I've got 6 of them (actually D300s) and none have ever done that. What does happen, fairly frequently I suspect, is that the spring gets a bit torqued in the adjustment process, then relaxes a bit with some storage or use. It's really easy to fix, it just needs to be someone that knows the regs. Surprisingly few techs are familiar with these fantastic 2nd stages, and I bet that was a big reason SP discontinued them.

I wasn't trying to worm your reg out of you, I have plenty of them. Too many, really......

Sorry for the late reply, and you can never have to many regs :D. I really appreciate the info about the stages. On the 1st stage it's leaking from those little hole around the top ( actual name escapes me ATM ) not major but a constant trickle of bubbles, so I think you may be right about a HP oring. I know nothing about the internal working of the D400 so again I thank you :), I plan on keeping them as back ups as I have heard good things about them.

---------- Post added February 8th, 2013 at 01:18 PM ----------

I picked up my new reg from my LDS today. Ended up going with the Mk11/C200; my LDS was bang on with the price from LeisurePro and others. It checked out just fine with a bench test and I can't wait to get it in the water for a shallow test dive on Saturday. If all is well there I'll take it with me on a two tank boat trip come Sunday. My LDS was happy to get my business, I got a fair price, so everybody wins. The tech that assembled the reg for me seemed to take issue with my Mares MV octopus. I've never had any issues with it, it's been a solid performer so far (ten dives or so on it, 'twas a Christmas gift) and is nice and compact...should I be concerned or was he just trying to upsell me to an R195 octo?

My, the C200 second is white; like Albino white. At least my buddy will be able to find me. :D

Congrats on the good buy, let us know how it goes with your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom