Christmas Tree Cove 6.14.11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With the forecast showing solid conditions for today, Charlie and I ventured to Christmas Tree Cove for some goat trail diving. From the top of the hill conditions didn't look bad but still nothing close to the lake-like conditions forecasted. Unfortunately one of Charlie's drysuit gloves ripped while suiting up, which left me solo diving for the day. Being the good friend he is Charlie opted to stay and give shore support rather then leave me alone. Much appreciated buddy! As I prepared to descend my Sunnto D4 flashed low battery and refused to go into dive mode. Without a depth gauge I decided to just stay in the cove and do a shallow 30min dive. Visibility was a surprisingly low 10ft with lots of suspended particles and moderate surge. I found a nice section of reef and spent 15 minutes or so hanging out with an island kelpfish who became more curious with my camera as time went on. While waiting to take more shots of him "he kept disappearing into his den", I found my first Berthella californica tucked under a small overhang. It was in a hard space to photograph but I at least got a couple shots to document the find. This was the first time I really stayed put in one area for that long and it was really cool to see the amount of critters drawn to my presence. At least two dozen or more Sheephead, Opaleye, Senorita and Garibaldi came to check out what was making so much noise. On my way in I found a sleeping Horn shark but the surge was so strong in that area that it was impossible to shoot. Though it wasn't the clear blue water CTC dive I was expecting, it was still great to get wet.
IslandKelpfishIS01001CropVersion.jpg

IslandKelpfishIS01002.jpg

NewNudi2-4.jpg

NewNudi-1.jpg

Nice find on the Berthella. Merry and I are both coughing a lot while we read this. :(
I have had fleeting thoughts that I will never get to dive again.
I started to have a sore throat this weekend but knocked it out with Airborne and Yin Chiao Classic Tablets. I recommend that combination to all my friends. As long as you dose up right when you get the first symptoms, it never fails. My buddy Mike "an unbeliever" had the same sore throat. Guess who now has a fever and full fledged cough? :)

Thanks for the report and photos Frank. I do love snorkeling around Christmas Tree Cove, but am getting to darn old to haul full gear up and down the trail.

This was the first Christmas Tree Cove dive of the year for me and the hill kicked my butt. In years past I could go up and down it with no issues without stopping but I found myself struggling this time. Time for me to get in shape:preggers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom