Cinco De Mayo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ONESPEED

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
For those of you who don't know the origins of this holiday....

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England .

In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico , which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York . This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico .

But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York . The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico , who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Happy May 5th!

Nope.

Merely misguided...

Liberation Day (Dutch: Bevrijdingsdag) is celebrated each year on 5 May in the Netherlands to mark the end of the German occupation during World War II.

The nation was liberated largely by Canadian troops, with the assistance of the British and American Armies (see Operation Market Garden). On 5 May 1945, the Canadian General Charles Foulkes and the German Commander-in-Chief Johannes Blaskowitz reached an agreement on the capitulation of German forces in the Netherlands in Hotel De Wereld in Wageningen. One day later, the capitulation document was signed in the auditorium of Wageningen University, located next-door to the hotel.

After the liberation in 1945, Liberation Day was commemorated every 5 years. Finally, in 1990, the day was declared to be a national holiday, when the liberation would be commemorated and celebrated every year.

On 4 May, the Dutch hold the Remembrance of the Dead for the people who have fought and died during World War II, and wars in general. There is a remembrance gathering in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam and at the National Monument on the Dam Square in Amsterdam. Throughout the country, two minutes of silence are observed at 8:00 p.m. On 5 May, the liberation is celebrated and festivals are held at most places in the Netherlands.
Liberation Day (The Netherlands) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Absolutely wrong, the holiday was created to celebrate my wife's birthday. She tells me that every year and I agree completely!

So do I need to make my margaritas with Bols to celebrate both?

Spent the night with Mrs 2dive4fun and had Margaritas. Also celebrated my birthday.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 27
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom