City, Thai Navy to Promote Pattaya as Wreck Destinations, Sink New Ones, Form Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is great news for everyone who wants to dive in Pattaya ,Hope all you dive owners get together on this and work as a team to promote wreck diving in Pattaya .:D

Good idea, but Pattaya dive shops working together???? That would be unusual.

Why has the website only got Aquanauts, Mermaids, Neptune & Seafari?

What happened to the other shops like Seaduction, Adventure Divers, Real Divers etc etc

Why has it not got all the wrecks listed? Bremmen and Sarasin are missing + the three recently discovered wrecks :(

Another question - why is the website only in english? Are they not after the thai weekend market and the russians?

Half the info that has been put in describing the dive sites is wrong / out of date - 2 lines on the khram?

As was stated 2 posts above, the website is only a test version and is not finished.

Also, only members of the Pattaya Dive Club will be shown on the site. The other shops (other than Adventure) have chosen not to promote Pattaya cooperatively.

Is this proposed to be an actual 'dive club', ie. An organised group of divers, or is it going to be an amalgamation of existing dive shops from the area?

Sounds like it is going to be either a cartel or monoploy to me :(

Next thing will be the introduction of charging to get on the wrecks - infact I remember when there was a questionaire banding about (1 year ago) asking about the artificial reefs / wrecks and would you be willing to pay to get on. I answered no!

Diving in Pattaya is generally too expensive already compared to other locations oin Thailand.

Wow, you two have been watching JFK too much or reading too many conspiracy theories.

LK -- "Club" is not an optimal name, but for legal reasons it could not be called "association" at this point. My point was exactly what you supposed -- that club makes it sound like a bunch of guys with a six pack and some tanks that want to go diving. It is, however, a government/business group who's objective it is to promote Pattaya as a wreck-diving destination and to secure government support for getting additional wrecks sunk in the area.

The two blog posts on the site from last year explain that.

Apeks -- Time for a chill pill. The PDC is an association whose main reason for being is to promote Pattaya diving at trade fairs and through advertising AND lobby the Navy and government to secure additional wrecks. It is only that and has nothing to do with anything else.

Also note, membership in the club/association is open to anyone -- not just dive shops. However, dive shops, the Tourism Authority of Thailand and PADI are full founding members while individuals and companies with an interest in diving can join as associate members. There are minimal fees of a few thousand baht (at this point) to join.

No need to be so defensive Mr Aquanauts, just a simple question entirely out of interest which it would appear you have answered for me. It was the first I had heard of this setup
Had it actually been the formation of a proper dive club in the area I would have been interested in getting involved. Indeed it has been something I have thought would be a good idea for a number of years, even though your stated perception of dive clubs and my experiences are somewhat different.
But from what you have said it would appear that it is not an actual dive club and there is no real benefit for individual divers to get involved.
In answer to your statement, no I haven't been watching JFK, I dont even know what you are talking about. But thanks for the other usefull info in your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom