Civils work at Class II - 50 metre Surface Supply & Wet Bell Offshore Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive2Deco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Afternoon,

I am currently in the process (with many other young & like minded individuals) of figuring out my path to Class I commercial diving..

Ive got the costing for "Class IV, III & II" @ R130k, which takes 3 months (South Africa), but now I'm trying to figure out what it is I need to accomplish before becoming employable.. apart from the basic qualifications, what WILL benefit me?

Before "Class I" can even be attempted 50 hours of water time must be obtained, and to the best of my knowledge at least 2 years worth of "Civil Work" in the harbour or onshore.. can anybody give me a few jobs which fall under this type of work?

Any advice, or information is very well received and I thank you in advance.
If this has landed up in the wrong section or information already exists please point me in the right direction.

You might get one on Longstreath.com

That's a dedicated commercial diving forum.

Where do you plan to train and get certified ? in ZA ?

Professional Dive Centre in Durban. It was them or SEADOGS, recommended though a family friend

There are many different accreditation schemes in various countries but you NEED an IMCA approved school that will give you an HSE part 1 or equivalent so that you can work offshore. Find the cheapest school possible that will give you these certs so you can save money for a offshore survival course after dive school.

There is NOTHING that you will learn in a dive school that you won't learn on the job. Dont listen to anything the school says, its all about getting a ticket as fast and as cheaply then getting offshore. Dont get a welding vert or a DMT or a inspection Cert. Get the basics and then get experience. Experience is the ONLY thing anyone cares about. Your school means nothing.

Once you have your certs, get your ass to singapore and start knocking on doors.

Cam

Ive heard of the one in Durban. As has been said, get your HSE part 1 ASAP and then start working. Get enough experience to do your HSE part 2 ... start making money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom