Clarification of MA spearfishing regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Direct from Division of Marine Fisheries, Commonwealth of Massachusetts:

Taking striped bass by spearfishing is illegal in MA, striped bass may only be taken by hook and line (M.G.L. c. 130 s. 100B).
Catching smelt (M.G.L. c. 130 s. 35) shad (M.G.L. c. 130 s. 100C) and striped bass (M.G.L. c. 130 s. 100B) with a spear is illegal. Moreover, it is illegal to possess any of these fish in MA if they have been speared (i.e., if you spear it in RI or NH, it can’t be brought into MA). Federal laws and regulations prohibit the taking of certain billfish by means other than hook and line. As for all other species, DMF does not have any rules or regulations governing the taking of these fish for recreational or commercial purposes. All spear fisherman are subject to the same permitting requirements (322 CMR 7.01 and 322 CMR 7.10) and fishing regulations 322 CMR 3.00, 6.00 and 8.00 as any fisherman.

Typical Massachusetts. Not satisfied with curtailing what one does in this state they now will bust you for what you do in another. How long till November?

It's good to get all the info out on the table. The advantage is someone else down the road will see the thread and learn.

Thanks Malpaso!

I don't see the wording in the CMR stating the transport from other states into Mass is prohibited. do you have a section reference?
CMR Striper taking.jpg

I don't see the wording in the CMR stating the transport from other states into Mass is prohibited. do you have a section reference?

I don't have one, I was just quoting correspondence from the DMF. Sec 15A speaks to reciprocity with NH and RI, so it may stem from that somehow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom