Clark Hill/Lake thurmond, Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also have a great river dive when there has been no rain (not so good this week)
I am realy looking foward to going down the river. That was probably one of the best dives I have ever done. I loved the history.
Hey guys, I apologize if this is a naive question, but I was wondering what river you're referring to? Always curious about different dive spots in the area. Thanks!

Hey guys, I apologize if this is a naive question, but I was wondering what river you're referring to? Always curious about different dive spots in the area. Thanks!

The river is the Savannah River. Excepting periods of substantial rainfall (we've had quite a bit lately) the river is a nice dive. The most popular option is the drift dive from the 5th street marina to the old marina (Boathouse) about a mile down river. It is a shallow dive - about 22' max. The typical dive starts with the shipwreck on the downstream side of the first pilon of the 5th street bridge - bow, planking, boiler, etc. You can then move over towards the SC side until you hit the remains of the old Hamburg docks. These docks ran about a mile and a half, 1/3 of the way out into the river from the SC side when cotton was king. When the docks fell into disrepair, they were cut off about 3-4' below the surface. The rock base and supporting posts remain and attach marine life. The GA side below the hwy 1 bridge has large boulders near the shore - more fish- and remains of the old Hamburg bridge. Nice 1-1:45 dive. Water temps are in the low 60s now and reach the low 70's in the summer. During periods of no rain, we have seen vis in excess of 15'. Up river at the N. Augusta Boat landing, it is a different dive. It is in the fall line of the river, the bottom is made up of large sheets of rock and boulders some areas covered in sand.

Dive Prof.,
Are the dive times on Sat/Sun the same as last year? I am ready for a dip on 4/26/09.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom