Class Started!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RenderTiger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just finished my first class last night!

Facility is brand new at Scuba Pros of Arizona, class is taught by Paul Wagonseller (funny guy).

We were a class of 7: 5 men, 2 women, the very first class at that location in fact. We began with an outline of the course, what we would do and need, and when. Paul introduced us to all the gear of scuba, where it all goes, what it's for, how to use it. He also touched on the difficulties we could encounter while diving, the dive charts, how important it is to use the dive log, and had us watch some SSI safety videos. He also talked to us about the local dive spots, and some local laws regarding divers, specifically the dive flag. The class was about 2 1/2 hours long with a 5-10 minute break in the middle.

Next one is tomorrow night, can't wait to get boots, gloves, and suit fitted! Gonna be a bit o cash but I can't wait to get in the water! :D

Here's a video of the place!

Cory's Corner: Scuba Pros of AZ - FOX 10 News - Phoenix, AZ | KSAZ-TV

I hope to keep this thread updated after each class so other people like me can understand a bit how my program went and what they might expect.

:)

Its all good.Listen and learn all you can and it should go great. Good luck!

Once you're hooked on the activity, you're hooked. It might be a little pricey, but once you have your own gear, it's almost free to go shore diving whenever you want. And once in a while, you can treat yourself to a charter or a dive trip. Good luck and have fun!

Have fun! Lake Pleasant can be a bit murky but starts clearing up as it gets chilly.
I did see some rather large fish this weekend there though! That's always cool!

Have FUN in your class!

Yeeaaahhhh Welcome to the world of bubbling : ))) HAve fun and good luck with your course : )

2nd Class Update:

Yesterday I went early to get gear for that night's class.

For those of you who are new and don't know what to expect I'll break down the costs I incurred per item when I get home (that's where the receipt is at). In total these are the things I got and used yesterday per the instructor's guidance:

Mask -

Snorkel -

Boots -

Fins -

Gloves -

Dive Log/Book/CD/Etc.. Package -

A mesh bag to transport all my gear in -

IMG_0305.jpg

We picked up another couple newcomers in last night's class bringing out total to 9: 6 men, 3 women. We began with our instructor Paul in the water and all of us sitting around the edge.

Paul started with a short talk about the importance of clearing your ears, to stop descending if it started to hurt, and some things that can happen to your ear if things go wrong. We all practiced the back float, and the dead mans float (jellyfish bob).

Then he had us all clear our ears he dove to the bottom of the 12ft pool and one by one each of us did it as well so we could feel the sensation of depth and to practice clearing our ears without a bunch of gear. One gal must have had problems clearing because she was hurting after she came back up, but everyone else did fine.

He showed us a few different ways to clear our mask, then had us all practice with buddies, we also did an exercise in taking our mask off under water, putting it back on, and clearing before surfacing. That was a challenge.

Next we were shown two methods of clearing the snorkel: the popping method, and another where you exhale underwater with your head inclined then tucking your chin when you reach the surface. The second is going to take some practice for sure.

We then put our gloves, boots, and fins on. Paul demonstrated three kicks: Butterfly, Dolphin, and Frog. Each of us did this as well, and he critiqued. Then he demonstrated three dives: Pike, one where you bend at the waist, and another where you used the fins to push yourself up out of the water then sink down, turn, and dive.

Lastly we practiced five entry techniques, for each he explained their advantages, when to, and not to used them. There was the giant stride, a roll, feet together jump, a backwards push off, and a backwards seated roll. After we were finished he assigned chapters in our books, and we all showered off, rinsed our gear, changed, and headed home. Class was 3 hours long that night.

Here's my gear drying :)

IMG_0306.jpg

2nd Class Update:

Yesterday I went early to get gear for that night's class.

For those of you who are new and don't know what to expect I'll break down the costs I incurred per item when I get home (that's where the receipt is at). In total these are the things I got and used yesterday per the instructor's guidance:

Mask - $64.80

Snorkel - $44.10

Boots - $47.70

Fins - $72.90

Gloves - $25.20

Dive Log/Book/CD/Etc.. Package - $107.99

A mesh bag to transport all my gear in - $41.40

Totaling: $440.85 after 10% discount and tax

IMG_0305.jpg

We picked up another couple newcomers in last night's class bringing out total to 9: 6 men, 3 women. We began with our instructor Paul in the water and all of us sitting around the edge.

Paul started with a short talk about the importance of clearing your ears, to stop descending if it started to hurt, and some things that can happen to your ear if things go wrong. We all practiced the back float, and the dead mans float (jellyfish bob).

Then he had us all clear our ears he dove to the bottom of the 12ft pool and one by one each of us did it as well so we could feel the sensation of depth and to practice clearing our ears without a bunch of gear. One gal must have had problems clearing because she was hurting after she came back up, but everyone else did fine.

He showed us a few different ways to clear our mask, then had us all practice with buddies, we also did an exercise in taking our mask off under water, putting it back on, and clearing before surfacing. That was a challenge.

Next we were shown two methods of clearing the snorkel: the popping method, and another where you exhale underwater with your head inclined then tucking your chin when you reach the surface. The second is going to take some practice for sure.

We then put our gloves, boots, and fins on. Paul demonstrated three kicks: Butterfly, Dolphin, and Frog. Each of us did this as well, and he critiqued. Then he demonstrated three dives: Pike, one where you bend at the waist, and another where you used the fins to push yourself up out of the water then sink down, turn, and dive.

Lastly we practiced five entry techniques, for each he explained their advantages, when to, and not to used them. There was the giant stride, a roll, feet together jump, a backwards push off, and a backwards seated roll. After we were finished he assigned chapters in our books, and we all showered off, rinsed our gear, changed, and headed home. Class was 3 hours long that night.

Here's my gear drying :)

IMG_0306.jpg

Sorry I don't know where to edit my previous post, I have updated the info above. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks,

-Ike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom