claustrophobia and chamber rides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Having a recent brush with a chamber ride got me talking to a diver who is claustrophobic. Most chambers I have seen are fairly small. I do not think this diver would be able to handle a 6 hr ride in one. With the worry about neuro status, I do not think sedating is an normal option as well. I also doubt she is the first diver with claustrophobia. How do they normally handle such issues? A little versed?
Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited:
Having a recent brush with a chamber ride got me talking to a diver who is claustrophobic. Most chambers I have seen are fairly small. I do not think this diver would be able to handle a 6 hr ride in one. With the worry about neuro status, I do not think sedating is an normal option as well. I also doubt she is the first diver with claustrophobia. How do they normally handle such issues? A little versed?
Thanks
Jimmy

Chamber docs sometimes give a mild dose of Xanax for the chamber ride if the patient is claustrophobic.

Hi jimmy71,

As I understand it, small amounts of a benzodiazepine or similar tranquilzer may be given, but the degree of sedation that safely can be induced is limited.

In cases of severe claustropobia or fear of panic attack, a chamber with transparent double-acrylic walls or one of the larger walk-in multiplace chambers may be necessary.

I have asked our HBO MD to respond.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Guys,
Claustrophobia can indeed be a problem.Nevertheless, if we're lucky enough to have an insightful patient who is well aware of their challenges we typically do use a dose of sedative which we try to tailor to the degree of their symptoms. If they have been taking something on a regular basis then we may typically use a slightly larger dose of oral form. Alternately, an IV dose may be titrated according to symptoms if the distress is overwhelming and hampering ongoing treatment. Divers are usually not subject to this but patients who are undergoing wound care management frequently need reassurance.
The most common drug we would use in IV form is midazolam; short acting benzodiazepine, as long as the patient doesn't have liver or kidney problems.
For oral medications, a small dose of another benzodiazepine is also very useful.
If the claustrophobia is compounded by ear pain, we may place grommets, (small tubes), in the ears to reduce pressure effects.
Better living through chemistry I guess.

I have mild claustrophobia and did one ride in a large chamber. Crowded elevators scare me but two people in that chamber for 6 hours was not a problem itself. Having said that, the demand mask they stuck on me had me in tears and I stated tearing it off after the second breath. A hell of a lot of concentration, fear and training stopped me before the attendant noticed.

I'm a claustrophobic agoraphobic so I avoid chambers.
Costs me a fortune in hinges.

If claustrophobia is a serious issue, then very conservative diving is a necessity. The alternative is to consider a different hobby/activity.

Back
Top Bottom