CO Death Myth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we are engaging in freewheeling conjecture...

What are the odds that a cave diver using a (homemade?) rebreather and in a situation where an emergency ascent was not possible would encounter the only gas cylinder that we know of on Cozumel contaminated with enough CO to deliver a fatal dose of it? I don't know; I'm just asking.

Seems farfetched, but that is the nature of the conceit of hindsight.

Seems farfetched, but that is the nature of the conceit of hindsight.
I'm not sure I get what it is you are saying. If we knew that is what happened, then that would indeed be hindsight, but we don't. The facts, such as they are, are clouded by many factors, and in the absence of proof positive at some point one just has to decide what to believe. A contributing element for me, at least, is to ask myself what is more likely to have happened.

One thing which I think is unlikely is that anyone in here will "get to the bottom of it".

Please don't use the word "fact" when quoting such a poorly written newspaper report.

IT SAYS THE ARTICLE STATES....................
Did I make that absolutely positively clear enough for you this time?
IT IS A FACT ..........the article stated that........show me where I said I have absolute proof what was written was absolutely fact? You can't so don't bother.
If there anything else you need explained I will be more than happy.......

IT IS A FACT ..........the article stated that........show me where I said I have absolute proof what was written was absolutely fact? You can't so don't bother.
Then why do you keep preaching it as fact, and attacking everyone that might have some skepticism, because of the source? Believe what you want, and get over the fact that others may not see it the same way as you do. If you don't trust Cozumel for diving, don't go there, or test your tanks, or whatever. Geez.

I'm not sure I get what it is you are saying. If we knew that is what happened, then that would indeed be hindsight, but we don't. The facts, such as they are, are clouded by many factors, and in the absence of proof positive at some point one just has to decide what to believe. A contributing element for me, at least, is to ask myself what is more likely to have happened.

One thing which I think is unlikely is that anyone in here will "get to the bottom of it".
The "conceit of hindsight" is the inflated perception of the significance and nature of an event after it has occurred, which is oft confused with likelihood of it having occurred in the first place. For example, if you look at a Japanese pachinko machine you would suggest, placing a future bet that it was statistically unlikely that a ball would find it's way into a given slot, however looking at it with hindsight (after the fact) you realize that the ball had to find it's way into some slot, so why not this one, which is as likely as any other?

While I rather doubt that the problem here was CO poisoning, that is not the result of looking back up the series of events required, but rather at the events themselves.

I don't know whether that accident was caused by CO poisoning or suffocation or both or anything else and quite frankly, I don't care.

What I do know is that you've been arguing in this thread that there was no reason not to believe a newsreport, and then when you quote one, you quite conveniently forget to mention the paragraphs that make no sense and show just how poorly the story is reported.

So I will apply to your posts the same rule I've applied to the aforementionned report : not trustworthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then why do you keep preaching it as fact, and attacking everyone that might have some skepticism, because of the source? Believe what you want, and get over the fact that others may not see it the same way as you do. If you don't trust Cozumel for diving, don't go there, or test your tanks, or whatever. Geez.

So you have some skepticism because of the source? I just stated above the news article was NOT the source get it? The dive team got the same info from local authorities before departing the island. I am not preaching those articles as fact, what I am preaching is that a couple of shop owners and others have no business trampling on the grave of a fellow diver after posting BS without proof got it? Geez. How many times do I need to repeat myself? If there is anything else you need explained I will be more than happy...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Time out for everybody as far as this thread is concerned. If you all cannot discuss the issues rather than personalities, there is no discussion taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom