Coco View v. Mayan Princess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
Flights are booked, just need to figure out where to stay. I go with my father and he usually only dives twice a day. The only drawback to CCV is that we are stuck there. It appears that Mayan Princess has a beach (which we like to relax on when not diving) and we can go to other places to eat.

Will the diving be the same at both resorts? Any suggestions?

thanks

J

Will the diving be the same at both resorts?

No. Because of the difference in location between the two resorts, the diving itself will be radically different.

(n.b.- the diving on Roatan can be divided into a few different underwater zones, any one of which are chiefly only served by the local resort/dive-ops. The island is about 17 miles long. Although it is only 3 miles wide, this of course means that you are dealing with 34+ miles of shoreline. Hard enough to get around on by car- long range ventures by boat are simply not happening yet)

Coco View, an AI on the middle of the Southern Shore, does its diving on shallow vertical walls that run from 5' down to a 90' sand shelf. They are Sunlit all day long and thus lend themselves to being the home of many colorful macro creatures~ this may not be of interest to newer divers. There are two very shallow (45-65' deep) small wrecks there- and because of it's historical protection from heavy weather these wrecks have remained intact for many years~ thus encrusted in life and critters. CCV has boats and facilities that are pretty close to handicapped accessible. They offer an afternoon and morning 2 tank boat dive. They have a very easy access shore dive. (= great snorkeling)

Mayan Princess is an ala carte resort located toward the South end of the Western side. The diving that they feature is along an area that is protected by the RMS, so the newer diver will get a greater number of sightings of common bigger critters~ Lobsters, Barracuda, etc. It is, by comparison, deeper and darker than the South shore, it's big wrecks are comparatively new, but shredded by wind and wave even though they are deep at 100'+. MP offers a two tank morning boat and a single in the afternoon, usually 1 night dive per week.

Flights are booked, just need to figure out where to stay. I go with my father and he usually only dives twice a day. The only drawback to CCV is that we are stuck there. It appears that Mayan Princess has a beach (which we like to relax on when not diving) and we can go to other places to eat.

Your decision has likely already been made for you by your flight dates. Call and confirm if CCV even has any rooms available- the place books-up pretty solid. Might render this discussion moot and only valuable to future visitor who are in ponder mode.

If beaches and optional dining is a deciding factor, your choice has also been pre-decided.

Go to Coco View for one thing and one thing only- a dive vacation that allows easy access to 5x a day diving, 24/7, 25+ dives in a week, end of story. [Think about this: Dad may have only historically dived 2x a day because diving was "work". At CCV, it's very low impact.]

If you want a vacation with diving, Mayan Princess would be a much better choice. Beach access and not to hard to get to West Bay restaurants. Much more of a resort that almost any non-diver would like way better.

Last edited:
CCV has availability. Which has better diving, I would define better diving as:
1. More fish;
2. Bigger fish;
3. Better visibility;
4. Travel time to dive site.

thanks

J

I would echo RoatanMan's comments. Personally, I like to get out and do other stuff when I'm not diving, so I prefer to stay close to topside activities. We had a great time at Mayan Princess. It's a nice property located right in the center of West Bay, which was perfect for us. The beach there is one of the nicest you'll find in the Caribbean, and West End town is just a short watertaxi ride away. The diving exposure is different from staying in Coco, but if you prefer a more diverse topside experience, then the west side is the place to go.

As for which op to use; if you choose to stay in West Bay or West End, I would just do some research on SB, Trip Advisor, YouTube, etc, then book after you get there.

Last edited:
I too will second the get out and see the island. I love Roatan, I love diving different areas. CCV is great but you are pretty much stuck. I have never stayed there but until last year I dove there a lot. Last year the manager threw me and my guests off the island and said they no longer accept visitors. I was shocked and started using Fantasy Island which accesses the exact same reefs and welcomes visitors aka non resident divers.

I have stayed at Mayan Princess until I purchased at Pineapple Villas. It is a very nice resort but certainly not all inclusive. Pinapple has great access to all parts of the island as it is centrally located. Regardless of where you stay, the freedom of being able to Dive South Wall, Wed Bay, West End or North Side is nice because you will find places you like and want to explore. Water Taxies will shuttle you from West End to West Bay for cheap and that opens the entire west side of the island up. Shore Diving from in front of infinity bay into Mandy's Eel garden and West Bay Wall is awesome and so easy.

I have yet find an all inclusive where the food was wonderful so take the cafeteria meals into consideration as well. enjoy the island, It is a wonderful place and also enjoy the local culture. That is what makes Roatan, Roatan!!

CCV has availability. Which has better diving, I would define better diving as:
1. More fish;
2. Bigger fish;
3. Better visibility;
4. Travel time to dive site.

thanks

J

I think all things are pretty equal. Travel time to any dive site is relative but most boat trips are a few minutes.
Fish are good anywhere but as RoatanMan stated, South Wall does have a lot of interesting life especially at night, more Pelagic's in my opinion however I see cool things everywhere.
Viz to me is another relative thing, it really depends on the individual dive site but in general, Roatan is all spectacular Viz

Coming from NYC the food is usually never great, but I one can usually find something to eat. Seems like Mayan has what I am looking for. I will report back after the trip.

Trying to figure out how to get a dive in on the 1st day (plane doesn't land until 12pm).

Is there good shore diving at Mayan Princess or Fantasy Island, and if so, how does it stack up to CocoView? I'd like to hit Roatan someday, but I'm coming from a '5 trips shore diving Bonaire is not enough!!!' mentality, with a wife who gets sea sick easily on boats.

Richard.

Is there good shore diving at Mayan Princess or Fantasy Island, and if so, how does it stack up to CocoView? I'd like to hit Roatan someday, but I'm coming from a '5 trips shore diving Bonaire is not enough!!!' mentality, with a wife who gets sea sick easily on boats.

Richard.

There is no shore diving directly in front of Mayan Princess, but the beach is awesome. The southern ironshore area of West Bay has some pretty cool reef that could be dove from shore, but I usually just snorkle it.

Last edited:
How are the sand fleas and what are they called,, noseems or something like that, on the beaches at either of these places?

Bugs aren't such a bother for me, however for the spouse it's a big issue.

Coming from NYC the food is usually never great, but I one can usually find something to eat. Seems like Mayan has what I am looking for. I will report back after the trip.

Trying to figure out how to get a dive in on the 1st day (plane doesn't land until 12pm).
Realistically you won't be thru customs/immigration till about 1-1:30 - there's often several flights that land around noon and the line then tends to be out the door onto the tarmac if yours isn't 1st. They're not fast either. Get in the right hand line(s), inside the terminal they merge down to two but the right side counter is the shorter line once you turn around the wall - assuming both agents are working at the same speed...

So then it's probably 30+ to 45mins. taxi ride to the Mayan Princess. So you'd need to find someone nearby doing a 4th dive. By 2PM some of the third dives have already returned - the reef is a short ride out in that area. On a Saturday that's highly unlikely. Mid-week you might catch someone's night dive. Or check out the shore dive mentioned above, I'd never heard of it until now. All the ones I found were near the West End or farther east.

Ask someone take you to Texas during the week also - they probably will - it's one of the better dives nearby.
---------- Post added ----------

Richard.
Ask Doc (Roatanman) to post his CCV map. Cocoview and Fantasy Island do the same shore dive(s), they're just across a boat channel from each other. There's about a dozen shore dives off Roatan where you'll be able to get out to the reef. Here's a list - the 1st three are Cocoview/FIBR. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean/Roatan/index.htm Look at the Entry Picture for Newman's Wall - that's the FIBR gazebo - the brown overwater bungalows behind it are Cocoview.

---------- Post added ----------
How are the sand fleas and what are they called,, noseems or something like that, on the beaches at either of these places?

Bugs aren't such a bother for me, however for the spouse it's a big issue.
They're pretty much everywhere...Some of the resorts rake the beach which seems to help. You'll also encounter them dining, walking, sleeping etc. I'd suggest you not air out your room unless the screens are in great shape. Regular use of Deet should minimize it - one night I forgot - and they were waiting underneath the tablecloth at an outdoor restaurant.

And there's mosquitoes - Anti-Malarial's are recommended by the CDC.
Areas of Honduras with Malaria: Present throughout the country at altitudes <1,000 m (3,281 ft) and in Roatán and other Bay Islands.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/honduras.htm

On the positive side, I spent an entertaining afternoon on Half Moon Bay beach without getting bit once. Mostly at Sundowners Bar. But there was some breeze that day.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom