Coco View v. Mayan Princess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few photos of Mayan Princess and some adjacent areas in West Bay plus West End, if it helps.

Attachments

• DSC04781.JPG
    DSC04781.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC04786.JPG
    DSC04786.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04819.JPG
    DSC04819.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC04836.JPG
    DSC04836.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC07606.JPG
    DSC07606.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC07607.JPG
    DSC07607.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC07609.JPG
    DSC07609.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC07611.JPG
    DSC07611.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC07613.JPG
    DSC07613.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
CCV has availability. Which has better diving, I would define better diving as:
1. More fish;
2. Bigger fish;
3. Better visibility;
4. Travel time to dive site.

Personally, I define "better diving" as someplace where I can dive to my hearts content (which is a lot!) at great dive sites.

To your points:
1. "More fish" could be subjective. You'd be more likely to see sea turtles on the West End dive sites, but I've seen more rays and dolphins on the south side.
2. "Bigger fish?" Dunno, it varies. I'm actually a big fan the smaller fish, esp. seahorse/pipefish which you'll find more on the south walls.
3. Vis in Roatan is pretty good IMO at either location.
4. Likewise, there are many, many dive sites very near either location, but CCV has the Prince Albert/CCV Wall/Newman’s Wall/Missing Link as dropoff/shore dives right at the "Front Yard" and I've logged many, many interesting dives there, so I'd definitely give CCV the nod.

Mary's Place is my favorite Roatan dive site of all, though some West End dive ops and even AKR will also make that trip.

Conversely, one day of the week the CCV crew usually sends one of their boats on an optional three-dive West End day trip, for those that are interested in turtle sightings or different topography and a quick walk through town during a surface interval.

As I said, I go to Roatan to Dive!, Dive!, Dive! and the only time I didn't stay at CCV I was sorely disappointed at the lack of bottom time. YMMV.

Is there good shore diving at Mayan Princess or Fantasy Island, and if so, how does it stack up to CocoView? I'd like to hit Roatan someday, but I'm coming from a '5 trips shore diving Bonaire is not enough!!!' mentality, with a wife who gets sea sick easily on boats.

Richard.

While there is not shore diving right in front of Mayan Princess (though you could but you would be going through the boat lane), there is shore diving about a hundred yards south on the other side of the pier at Infinity Bay. Also, the boat trips out of West Bay can be VERY short (just to get you on the other side of the reef.) So seasickness would be a non-issue ... not enough time. If Mayan Princess isn't doing a short out that particular day, I'd venture that one of the other operators on the beach (e.g., Bananarama) would be.

Carl

How are the sand fleas and what are they called,, noseems or something like that, on the beaches at either of these places?

Bugs aren't such a bother for me, however for the spouse it's a big issue.

Don't underestimate the need for a good bug spray with Picardin, DEET, Cactus Juice. etc. as soon as you hit the beach (or sand). I make sure to have a small bottle in my carry on luggage, since checked bags may travel from the airport to your resort in a separate vehicle.

How are the sand fleas and what are they called,, noseems or something like that, on the beaches at either of these places?

Bugs aren't such a bother for me, however for the spouse it's a big issue.

Roatan has it's share of noseems, but it's not really any worse than other places in the Caribbean. I recently switched to the new 3M Ultrathon 12 hour bug lotion and have had pretty amazing results; doesn't take much either. I can definitely recommend it over the other more common options out there.

3M

Last edited:

I've been on West Bay in February / March time frame a couple years and never had a problem with them. My wife uses bug spray liberally ... me, not so much. We are going this coming September, too, so we'll see about then. Overall, I've been harrassed by noseeums more in Kings Bay, Georgia, than in Roatan and the mosquitoes where I live in South Carolina are more or as aggressive as any I've seen in Roatan.

Carl

There is no shore diving directly in front of Mayan Princess, but the beach is awesome. The southern ironshore area of West Bay has some pretty cool reef that could be dove from shore, but I usually just snorkle it.
Not true. Walk South, Left down the beach to the pier just before infinity bay where the Water Taxis hang out. Surface swim at about 10:30 direction if straight out it 12 o'clock.
When you hit the reef you can dive the channels until you come to a buoy in about 25 feet water where you will see an opening to the wall.
Outside the wall is Mandy's eel garden. Straight ahead through the opening is a huge pinicle and you can get as deep as you like.
Left heads towards West Bay wall, wonderful diving, awesome structure, beware of current.
Right is an awsome dive where you can finish up on top the reef at about 25 feet deep

Everyone tells me you cant do this, I rent tanks on every trip now and dive here, It is spectacular at night too.
There are dive shops all up and down west bay that will rent you a tank, especially if they have gotten to know you.

infinitybay.jpg

Awesome!

I was not aware that it was kosher that far up given all the boat traffic, but I guess it's not as big an issue around there since the pier is about as far down as the taxies really need to go. I know there is some cool stuff down in that direction. I'll be sure to check it out next time I go down - good info!

I'm surprised no one mentioned or suggested Anthony's Key. Awesome resort, inclusive, and access to all locations

I'm surprised no one mentioned or suggested Anthony's Key. Awesome resort, inclusive, and access to all locations
Nice place but I would never recommend it to anyone. Personal reference but I have not had any great experience there. I think "Awesome" is a bit over stating the cool factor.
$$$$ is a better description

Back
Top Bottom