Cocoview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, most orcas have very specific schedules, but it varies depending on the Pods. Some Pods migrate on very set patterns based upon their feeding habits, while others are more localized to specific regions. Really depends on their food more than anything I think, which is ridiculously varied depending on the family.

I'm guessing these aren't eating many seals, although they could be up in CA for a time while normally off the coast of Argentina where they frequently appear.

Chaseh:
Actually, most orcas have very specific schedules, but it varies depending on the Pods.

I guess what I mentioned to say is that we don't have a copy of their published schedules! :eyebrow:

How about this? Just 1/4 mile East of CoCoView in First Bight, heading towards CCV, alerted by CCV's dive boats, two local Roatan SCUBABoard regulars shot these:

http://freefall2.smugmug.com/gallery/2286178/1/119470584

Here's the underwater version, shot by CCV's Tim Blanton: http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html (after Friday Jan 5th, the weekly log will be updated and they will probably be parked at http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog122902.html)

DeputyDan:
Been there done that - taking my daughter this May (2007)

when in may?

The only other spot I know where you see "tropical killer whales" is off Paupa New Guinea. At Walindi Plantation- a dive resort. They cruise between the Solomon Islands and Paupa New Guinea. The photo pro there at Walindi has pictures, but she never puts them on the resort website. I gave up asking her to post them. I am not sure if the orcas off Argentina are the same ones they have been seeing off Roatan. The ones off Argentina have been well documented with dorsal fin shots, and designated numbers. There is a website for those particullary orcas run by the scientist who has been studying them: http://www.fundorca.org.ar/ Anyway I am going to look at those links provided by your posts.

I spoke with Tim the other day about the killer whales. He said they are transients, but I don't remember how often they come around. Yesterday, a whole pod of pilot whales were tooling around off shore. We were able to jump in the water and snorkel with them. It was a most awesome spectacle. Tim got some lovely pictures of them. Sadly, my camera had died two days earlier. However, before it did I got a very useful class on photography from Tim. It was $125 and well worth it. I was shooting much better pictures, until the camera died. :-(

We took the city tour yesterday. It was a nice diversion from diving for an afternoon. We saw the iguana farm, which is actually a perserve not a farm. People on the island actually eat iguanas. There were also a pair of monkeys, who love lifesavers. You can give the lifesavers to them in the packages and they are quite adept at unwrapping them.

Next we went to a botanical garden. An expat American runs it as a labor of love. There are all types of different trees and plants and he gives details on all of them. It was a very informative tour.

Finally we made it to the West End. It is a quaint little area that seems to be laid out in a bar, dive shop, giftshop, bar, dive shop, gift shop pattern. The street is dirt and they had a large scrapper driving down the middle flattening out the ruts. The real prize was hitting the market for vanilla and good Honduran coffee (as oppossed to the cafe oro or maxwell house at Cocoview), which I am presently enjoying. Don't buy them in a gift shop, just go to the market. I got a pound of coffee bean, half a pound of ground, a large bottle of vanilla, a beer, and an ice cream for $13.

Cocoview has been a very nice resort. We have definitely enjoyed it quite a bit. However, last night there was an incident that left me with a slightly bad taste. They had evening activities with fire dancers, who were really incredible. As an incentive, they told us a drawing would be held for a free trip to cocoview. It was actually a drawing for a chance to be placed in a drawing for a chance at winning a free trip. It wasn't very well explained, an issue that seems to keep coming up in many other areas. In any case they did say that you needed to be present to win. At about 8pm my wife is not feeling well and decides to go back to the room, we figured that since I was there I was representing us. The drawing was held and my wife's name was called. I was overjoyed, until they told me that since she wasn't here it didn't count. A very dissapointing experience to be sure. Later, I spoke with the bartender Michelle? and said basically, I understand those were the rules, but could they make them clear in the future. She then blew me off insisting that the rules were the rules and I had been told. Not exactly the way to treat paying customers, a little more tact would have been appropriate.

C'est la vie! One another note, I really must stress how wondferful the staff is down here. They really do go the extra mile. Time to go enjoy the incredible diving.

Hey Renpirate,

Those are some great pilot whale photos, especially the underwater shots. They look like short-fin pilot whales. They have a shorter pectoral fin than the long-fin pilot whales. It must have been great to be in the water with them. The closest I have seen pilot whales is at Sea World in San Diego. Bubbles and Squirt which are the only two pilot whales in captivity in America. They originally came from Marineland of the Pacific which was closed in the early 90's. Bubbles has been in captivity for close to 40 years or more. Which makes her one of the oldest cetaceans ever placed on display (including Nellie the dolphin at Marineland of Florida, Corky the killer whale there at Sea World, and Lolita the killer whale at Miami Seaquarium). Incidently the only other place you could see a pilot whale on display in an aquarium in Japan.

lock_washer:
Hey Renpirate,

Those are some great pilot whale photos, especially the underwater shots. They look like short-fin pilot whales. They have a shorter pectoral fin than the long-fin pilot whales. It must have been great to be in the water with them. The closest I have seen pilot whales is at Sea World in San Diego. Bubbles and Squirt which are the only two pilot whales in captivity in America. They originally came from Marineland of the Pacific which was closed in the early 90's. Bubbles has been in captivity for close to 40 years or more. Which makes her one of the oldest cetaceans ever placed on display (including Nellie the dolphin at Marineland of Florida, Corky the killer whale there at Sea World, and Lolita the killer whale at Miami Seaquarium). Incidently the only other place you could see a pilot whale on display in an aquarium in Japan.

It was really incredible. I free dove down to 30' and one swam by me slowly giving me the once over and then swam gracefully away. I'm glad Tim posted the pics on the website.

Back
Top Bottom