Cold to Warm Gear Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Interested in peoples thoughts regarding "vacation" gear configuration.

I am currently planning on continuing to use a 7' and 22" hose setup to dive open water singles down south. (I'm 6'4")

I am also planning on using the same webbing and backplate setup and simply adjusting the shoulder straps, spg d-ring and other points to make it work in a wetsuit.

Also not planning on cutting out the larger coldwater bolt snaps and just leaving them on my lights, etc, for the two weeks I will be down south.

Any suggestions, concerns, or comments on this?

I don't much care for having to leave my pockets behind, as well as removing hoses from my regs, and dealing with different sized footware.

After having to dive dry all last season, I found I actually prefer just changing my undergarments when travelling to warmer climates. And I think you can stay cooler out of the water in a trilam drysuit then in a 3mm wetsuit.

I have the "goofy" 5thD pocket shorts and they saved the day! Needed my SMB and wetnotes on a dive and they were right there, just like w/ my drysuit. They allow you to wear any wetsuit w/o investing in a lot of pockets and installation hassles.

The only other thing you may want to consider is plate material. If you don't need a lot of weight in a warm water configuration, your SS plate may be too heavy for a warm water locale.

I don't have pockets on my DS yet but the only changes I made to get me into a 3mm shortie was removing the DS hose and tightening the crotch strap. I left the shoulder straps as they were and it didn't seem too bad.
No canister light so I just tucked the long hose.
Gauges on bungies were placed a bit higher up on the arm also.
Dug up the wet suit booties from the OW and all set!

diveski01:
I have the "goofy" 5thD pocket shorts and they saved the day! Needed my SMB and wetnotes on a dive and they were right there, just like w/ my drysuit. They allow you to wear any wetsuit w/o investing in a lot of pockets and installation hassles.

Becki,

I was consdering one of these. How goofy do they actually look??!!

Thought I saw something about a pocket one could slip right onto the harness belt itself - worn instead of a canister light and reinforced to make it stiff enough to aid in hose routing. Anyone else heard of/seen/own these? And if so how much do they cost?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom