Cold Water Diving Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because it's cold water doesn't mean the vis is bad. The clearest waters in the world are also the coldest. :wink:

Gary D.

TSandM:
Direct ascents in very turbid water are also challenging, because you are devoid of visual clues for orientation (this one was very hard for me).

That is a new one to me, thanks. Is there any particular technique for a diver to help control ascent in low viz?

TSandM:
In addition, very cold water means you decompress less efficiently, so good buoyancy control on ascent is even more important.

Could you clarify what you mean by decompress less efficiently?

Great info, btw.

Nudgeroni:
What skills are particularly important in cold water vs. warm water? Clearly visibility is an issue, and buoyancy control is tougher with a 7mil. But a couple threads here have stated that diving in cold water is considerably more challenging than in warm water, and I want to do my best to prepare myself.

Getting your face used to the water temp is great advice whether you're doing check-outs or "regular" dives. The water temp can take your breath away once it gets below 60 degrees and it WILL take your breath away once the temp goes under 50 degrees. I've found that my students do better underwater when we get the "my face is frozen" gasping over with on the surface.

Make sure you have the right equipment for the conditions. Cold water gear is worth the investment in the long run.

Exposure protection that fits well is going to make your foray into cold water much more pleasant. Make sure you do a proper buoyancy check, you're going to be carrying more lead than you're used to but there's no sense carrying more than you need.

Bring warm clothes along, your body temperature is going to drop in cold water. It may be 75+ degrees outside but carrying a sweatshirt, jacket and winter hat/gloves with you will eventually pay off. You don't HAVE to use them but it's easier to bring them and not need them than to need them and not have them especially when doing multiple dives or multiple days of diving. I like to keep a blanket around to wrap up in as well.

Managing gear is a little more challenging in thick gloves, make sure you can work all of your gear and perform all emergency tasks with thick gloves. You're on the right track with the additional set of check-out dives.
Ber :lilbunny:

scubadobadoo:
Mask removal is one huge one frequently overlooked in cold water. That cold water may literally take your breath away causing a panic and a bolt to the surface.

Great info, and something I had not considered. I want to practice removing and donning my mask while suspended, too.

scubadobadoo:
Now, go out and get Jerry SHine's book, "A SHore Diving Guide to New England" at bluesperepubs.com and get out and dive!!!

Just picked it up this last week. Given the number of shore diving sites and the good things Brandon and others have said about what there is to see, my weekends will be busy for a while!

Gary D.:
Just because it's cold water doesn't mean the vis is bad. The clearest waters in the world are also the coldest. :wink:

Gary D.

I concur. Having tried my hand at ice diving, I was amazed at the difference the absence of rain (and less waves :D) makes!

Alex

Ber Rabbit:
Bring warm clothes along, your body temperature is going to drop in cold water. It may be 75+ degrees outside but carrying a sweatshirt, jacket and winter hat/gloves with you will eventually pay off. You don't HAVE to use them but it's easier to bring them and not need them than to need them and not have them especially when doing multiple dives or multiple days of diving. I like to keep a blanket around to wrap up in as well.

Super recommendation. Being a native of Buffalo, I am part polar bear, but my buddy/spouse can get cold in a breeze on a 70 degree day. I have a habit of bringing minimal gear, but I'll err on the side of over-packing in this case.

In terms of thermal protection, I want to stick with the 7mil rentals that are available. Once I get a sense of how comfortable my buddy and I are at different temps/depths over the season, I'll decide if it's right to spring for the drysuit. I don't know if a Farmer John or vest w/hood full suit combo is best, but that might be a better question for a different thread.

I must say that I don't look forward to the gloves.

Nudgeroni:
That is a new one to me, thanks. Is there any particular technique for a diver to help control ascent in low viz?
When I took my OW class, very few divers had any kind of computer to inform them of their ascent rate. The trick we were taught is that you should never ascend faster than the smallest bubbles you see/exhale. Bear in mind that bubbles expand and accelerate as they ascend, so always stick with the smallest of them, and don't fixate on any particular bubble.

Another trick when boat diving is to use the line as a reference.

Of course, these days most folks will just tell you to do what your computer says.
Nudgeroni:
Could you clarify what you mean by decompress less efficiently?
There's evidence to suggest that your body's ability to off-gas varies with the temperature, and that cold water decreases off-gassing efficiency and increases the risk of DCS. It's therefore a good idea to dive conservatively in cold water.

Nudgeroni:
I must say that I don't look forward to the gloves.
I don't think you'll ever find a diver that prefers cold water gloves to warm bare hands. They're a pain in the butt, and they reduce dexterity, making even the simplest tasks significantly more difficult. They're better than numb fingers though.

Nudgeroni:
What skills are particularly important in cold water vs. warm water?
Thanks for your input.

Learning to do an ESA with a free flowing regulator. Your reg is more likely to freeze in deep cold dives, especially when air is being used to fill the drysuit, or when a buddy is breathing off your octopus.

Why would you want to do a CESA if the reg is freeflowing? Its giving you air. Just breathe from it while ascending normally. Then when it stops go to buddy and use his air.

Far more sensible than bolt 'n' pray.

MSilvia:
Nudgeroni:
When I took my OW class, very few divers had any kind of computer to inform them of their ascent rate. The trick we were taught is that you should never ascend faster than the smallest bubbles you see/exhale. Bear in mind that bubbles expand and accelerate as they ascend, so always stick with the smallest of them, and don't fixate on any particular bubble.

Another trick when boat diving is to use the line as a reference.
There's also the handy-dandy skill of shooting a bag on a spool. It can be challenging at times, as... um... some people here can tell you (if they want :D), but there's nothing like doing a stop with a ready-made depth reference.

(If you don't have a spool, Dive Sports has cheap ones. They also have bags and other things, as I've read in the Hot Deals forum here, but I had to mention the $16 spools -- I saved enough to eat a foot-long Subway Melt... or several. :D)

Back
Top Bottom