Combining DIR and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made up this little kit for my point and shoot. It tucks away on the crotch strap when not in use. With over 200 plus dives on it I worked out all the bugs.

Did make up a video mount that Bob Sherwood uses now and then. I think he likes it because he did give me some feed back and I made a change or two per his request.

Last trip I was having strobe issues and started shooting video. With the primary light in the left hand I had zero problems keeping the camera there most of the dive. For an OOA I can clip it away fast and deal with the issue. Then clean up when resolved. Hope it helps!

UWR2009D.jpg

UWR2009a.jpg

I shoot video, not stills. However the video systems I've used over the past 10 years are as big, or bigger than most still camera units so I think my experiences will help. I have 2 bungies on my cameras-one longer (14"ish) and one shorter (8"ish). When scootering I sometimes crotch clip the long bungie and let the unit ride on my legs (especially for long distances). I also find that holding the camera with one hand and the scooter with the other works well for short durations. I can even use the scooter shroud as a platform to rest the camera as I travel. The secret is in having a well weighted system-not too heavy, not too light.

When swimming I will mostly clip off both bungies to my left dring for travelling and leave just the long one on while shooting. Or sometimes I unclip them both. The main thing is to ensure that the camera is not clipped off in such a way as to interfere with deploying the long hose.

I don't see how photography affects diving in a DIR rig at all. I have a full-size Nikon dSLR. I don't have to do anything differently in my dive rig than I would if I dove a poodle jacket.

Except nadwidny's comment about keeping the long hose clear, there's nothing special. But you've got to keep the long hose clear regardless of whether or not you are carrying a camera.

Interesting idea! I'm having a hard time imaging how the camera would ride on your legs without bouncing around and banging into the tanks. Can you describe this in a little more detail?

When scootering I sometimes crotch clip the long bungie and let the unit ride on my legs (especially for long distances).

Interesting idea! I'm having a hard time imaging how the camera would ride on your legs without bouncing around and banging into the tanks. Can you describe this in a little more detail?

Not really. It's just something I did and it worked. The cameras have all been a bit negative so they ride on the backs of my legs and don't really bounce around at all. Don't forget sitting in that position it is hiding behind your tanks and your ass so it is out of the slipstream so it doesn't get a lot of turbulence when travelling. Just like a towed diver or back up scooter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom