Combining Traning Courses - Nitrox & AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
According to PADI and my LDS, I can combine these two courses - at least I can combine the dive portion as long as I complete the classroom portion separately.

Apart from saving a few bucks, is this a good idea?

Once you've done the academic portion of the Nitrox class and have analyzed the tanks (pre-dive), there are no real tasks to perform while diving Nitrox (except for adhering to Maximum Operating Depth) [Blowing Nitrox bubbles isn't considered a task], so it can be piggy-backed onto other certification dives (at least in the PADI system).

I piggy-backed my Deep onto My Nitrox class.

Nitrox required me to make 2 dives. If I made those two dive deeper than 60 then I could also count them as two of the four dives I needed for deep, leaving only one deep dive remaining. Since PADI will allow 3 training dives per day and I had one deep dive as credit. (you have to make a deep dive in AOW) I could get 2 certs in one day by making 3 Deep dives as long as two of them were made with Nitrox.

My LDS only charged me half the price for the deep class and this way I didn't have to spend the whole weekend only one day. I view my time as valuable so it was a real bargin in that respects. Had I performed the classes seperatly it would have taken 3 dive days as opposed to just the 1. Not to mention the full price of both classes.

Had I thought about it I should have asked If I could have piggy-back mulitlevel/deep/nitrox all into one since my deep dives were multilevel profile's as well. I'm not sure if you can but would stand to reason you should be able to provided teh ML dives started a 60' or greater.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
I piggy-backed my Deep onto My Nitrox class.
Had I thought about it I should have asked If I could have piggy-back mulitlevel/deep/nitrox all into one since my deep dives were multilevel profile's as well. I'm not sure if you can but would stand to reason you should be able to provided teh ML dives started a 60' or greater.

PADI wouldn't count the ML dives and deep dives for both specialties. I asked when I did the boat specialty. I wanted to do boat and deep. The only thing you really need to know for boat is how to exit and enter the boat, right? So I should be able to do another specialty on the boat dives. The instructor said no. Can't combine specialty dives. Nitrox is the only exception with one other specialty.

However, I did my Nitrox dives on a deep dive and my PPB specialty dives which finished off my requirements for AOW. So I got three certifications in one days worth of diving.

As far as cutting edge issues go, the issue of combining the basic nitrox certification with another class is VERY cutting edge. If someone suggests this to you, then please appreciate that you are speaking with an ultra-modern instructor.

NAUI specifically recommends combining the nitrox course with one of several other courses. Possibilities are to combine it with the basic open water course, or with the advanced open water course, or with the master diver course.

If you can get a special deal from a PADI or SSI instructor, where the nitrox course is combined as well, with a discount off the regular price of both classes, that would be a fantastic deal.

When I teach scuba, I like to combine the basic open water course with the basic nitrox course. The basic half dozen dives are limited to 40 ft to begin with, and that is a perfect depth for using EAN36. In other words, there is no ox tox risk.

The beginning dive students learn from the start of their training that there are 3 gasses available to them: Air, EAN32, and EAN36. They get to play with all 3 dive tables. They gain an appreciation for partial pressures and PO2 and FO2 and MOD.

I make sure they can personally calculate the MOD for EAN36, after I show them how to calculate it for EAN32 and for Air. It also helps them to understand why there is helium in technical diving, and why they should always limit their air diving to 100 ft.

Combining basic nitrox with advanced open water is also an excellent idea. This requires them to review their dive table procedure, and again to understand partial pressures and PO2 and FO2.

Either way, eventually your divers are going to go out and start diving in the range of 50 to 100 ft, and that is the range where EAN36 and EAN32 minimize the N2 DCS risks of diving. And that is the main pay-off for them. Safety.

It is one of my biggest sellers...and an excellent idea. It allows me to teach both classes with a minimum increase in fees I have to charge the diver.

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
As far as cutting edge issues go, the issue of combining the basic nitrox certification with another class is VERY cutting edge. If someone suggests this to you, then please appreciate that you are speaking with an ultra-modern instructor.

...... Possibilities are to combine it with the basic open water course, ......

I work with instructors that have been doing that for years. Nothing ultra-modern about those old goats. We still can't get one out of his horse collar.

Combining them with OW is a fantastic idea. Especially if the student is one that is wanting to learn and willing to take the extra time to do the class.

Hi Jim,

Glad You are doing it at least. but, IMO, as simple as nitrox is it Should be included in an AOW course at no extra cost. it seems to more than qualify as an advanced diver subject and it Would add the attractivness of the course in general - but then again it's also the (or close to) best profit margin courses, so i don't think we'll see a change soon.

Capt Jim Wyatt once bubbled...
It is one of my biggest sellers...and an excellent idea. It allows me to teach both classes with a minimum increase in fees I have to charge the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom