Coming to visit you in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that Bonine does a better job than Dramamine (1 that is, 2 has the same active ingredient) Dramimine makes me sleepy, I hate the stuff. I take one Bonine the night before and another the next morning. Works great for me and others who spend time on my boat. If you decide to try Bonine, I would suggest that you try some on a dry run before diving with it, just to see if it agrees with you.

The ladder ride is an adventure. If the seas are rough it can get exciting. The trick is to watch the boat and get the rhythm of the ladder. Get close to the ladder and when the ladder gets to it's lowest point plant both feet on the ladder, put some weight on them and hold on. Wait until the ladder gets to the top of it's travel and then start climbing. The objective is to climb only when the ladder is moving down, if it starts back up, just hold on and wait for the next downward cycle. What ever you do, DON'T remove your reg or mask until you are sure you are on the boat. There is always the chance of losing your grip on the ladder and falling back in. If you do lose your grip, it's better to get back in and away from the ladder and start over rather than trying to hang on when you have lost most of your grip.

I went deep sea fishing when I was about 18, off the coast of Myrtle Beach. 6 to 8 foot seas that day. I have never been as sick in my life...I have never seen so many shades of green on so many people, including me! Once I up-chuck, that's it. I'm down for the count. I'm hoping that the meds work!

Dramamine vs. Bonine vs. Ginger tablets...$40
Lost fins while waving them around for signaling device...$150
Watching me try to get on the ladder...priceless :wink:

Take sea sickness meds three to four days ahead of time every morning, that way it has time to build up in your system to its fullest strength, and remember to tell the dm that this is your first time that way they will be little bit more ready to assist you don’t worry everyone got to start some time you be fine if I knew more dates and place ect I try to join you sure others would too.
I know I diving the Olympus the weekend of may 3rd and 4 th will be on another boat the 17th and 18th may and another Olympus in 24 and 25th may.

finstotheleft once bubbled...
I went deep sea fishing when I was about 18, off the coast of Myrtle Beach. 6 to 8 foot seas that day. I have never been as sick in my life...I have never seen so many shades of green on so many people, including me! Once I up-chuck, that's it. I'm down for the count. I'm hoping that the meds work!

Dramamine vs. Bonine vs. Ginger tablets...$40
Lost fins while waving them around for signaling device...$150
Watching me try to get on the ladder...priceless :wink:

Ain't praying to RALPH fun! :eek:ut::eek:ut:

There was a pretty good thread several months ago that had some good seasick advise, you might want to do a search and locate it.
A safety sausage is also a good idea, just in case you have to come up away from the anchor line, it's a BIG ocean out there.

My instructor and several other experienced divers are going to be in our group. Our instructor has already said that he is probably going to require everyone to have sausages before we go.

I think I'm going to take your advice on the seasick medicine Medic, and dose up several days in advance. I took seasick meds. about a day before my first ocean dive and I wasn't groggy at all after it had been in my system overnight.

Thanks so much for all the good advice...this is really going to help the dive go smoothly!:D

finstotheleft,

You picked a great dive center to do your diving. Olympus runs a great establishment. I used to live in Morehead City and worked with Olympus. You won't find a better crew and boat anywhere. If you are staying at the lodge then the restaurant just below called "Rapscallions" is close and has great food. All along the waterfront right by the dive shop also has lots of great food as well. Beaufort is only about 6 minutes from the lodge and "Clawsons Restaurant" would be my first choice there. The Papoose is a wonderful dive as you have read from other diver here. Pretty much all of the wrecks of Morehead City are amazing. If you have time for sightseeing you may try Ft. Macon over on the Beach. It's a civil war fort that is in great condition and it's right on the beach and easy to get to.(about 10 mins from lodge) In fact I will be there the week after you leave for a week too.

Hope this helps
Wreck Ranger

I'm planning on cruising up the coast and taking a tour of the lighthouses. I am a lighthouse nut, and this will be my first time seeing Cape Hatteras! I am very excited... :D

I'm planning on cruising up the coast and taking a tour of the lighthouses. I am a lighthouse nut, and this will be my first time seeing Cape Hatteras! I am very excited... :D

excited is the understatement of the century.. She is going nuts over these lighthouses.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

excited is the understatement of the century.. She is going nuts over these lighthouses.

I can't help it! I think I was a light keeper in a previous life or something....:confused:

There are 7 working and 1 non working lights (2 if you count a river light)in NC. It's a long treck between Oak Island in the south (newest and one of 2 brightest in the world)and Corolla in the north. Last I heard you can climb Corolla and go on the balcony. The closest one to Morehead City is Cape Lookout. It is NOT accessable by land, you must take a boat or ferry to get to it. Ocracoke is the next closest but it is a 1hr drive followed by a 3 hr car ferry ride. I took some photos of all of them a few years ago so I am fairly familiar with them. If you can only get to a couple, I would suggest Ocracoke then on north to Cape Hatteras, the tallest light on the east coast and likely the most famous light in the world.

Back
Top Bottom