Coming Week Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course long range forecasting is an inexact science, but I have found wind guru to be pretty good even 10 or so days out.

I came over on the ferry this afternoon. Could of used water skis. I think the weather the next 2 or maybe 3 days is going to make up for any bad weather after that, it is perfect right now.

In looking at wind guru for the week beginning on Monday the 15th, it looks like all of next week is looking very windy with the wind from the NW moving to the N and then NE. This would look like Monday - Thursday is questionable diving especially for the small boats

I know forecasts can change especially that far out but figured I'd ask the experts what you all think about next week. I arrive on Sunday the 14 and leave on Saturday the 20th. It would cost me a little to redeposit my airline miles and part of my hotel deposit, but I'm not keen about losing 4 of my 5 days of diving.

Thx

That's really a tough call. When we were there during last weeks Norte, I was getting emails from a few people we know on the island saying "there's no way you are diving tomorrow or probably the next day", but the port ended up staying open and we never missed a day. That being said, it was a bit "chilly" (68 degrees one day, I think), so if you are dead set on nice, sunny, hot weather, maybe push it back. But, I really enjoyed the weather and we lucked out by not missing any dive days.

I came over on the ferry this afternoon. Could of used water skis. I think the weather the next 2 or maybe 3 days is going to make up for any bad weather after that, it is perfect right now.

Sadly I won't be there until Monday and thus won't have the benefit of the perfect days -- the forecast for the rest of this week does look good, I hope you have some great dives.

That's really a tough call. When we were there during last weeks Norte, I was getting emails from a few people we know on the island saying "there's no way you are diving tomorrow or probably the next day", but the port ended up staying open and we never missed a day. That being said, it was a bit "chilly" (68 degrees one day, I think), so if you are dead set on nice, sunny, hot weather, maybe push it back. But, I really enjoyed the weather and we lucked out by not missing any dive days.

Do you remember what the wind speed was per chance on the days people thought you probably wouldn't dive?

I think they were forecasting 18-22 mph, but not 100% sure. I suspect we were VERY close to the port being closed. In fact, I think it was closed for a bit, then reluctantly opened. At least that's the feeling I got.

It depends on the exact direction of the wind and I would suspect the length of time it has been acting on the seas to the north. Windguru was calling for 14-16 from the NNW and that had the scuttlebutt saying it would get closed but we went out to fairly rough seas. We loaded at la Caleta instead of the pier. I was told that once it closed that 10-12 would tend to keep it closed but it is inconsistently applied. The day we left it was 12 out of the north and the ferry ride was fairly topsy turvy but the dive boats were having no problems at all. The trip back into the wind is worse than the ride out of course. We just showed up each morning as if we were going to dive regardless of the dire warnings and each morning we did. My best advice is that if you are going out in moderate seas, get your wetsuit on immediately and make as many gear preparations as you can while the boat is still sheltered. As soon as you clear the opening to the harbor things get wet and more challenging. Be ready and it's fun. Wait until you get cold and the boat is working against the seas and it will be less fun.

I've been down there when the wind felt brutal and the trip back from the dive sites to the dock was horrible. I bought a dive coat after that trip and have learned to be much better prepared.

Windguru is calling for 13knot, 11knot, 15knot, 13knot at the 6am reading Mon-Thur respectively. With the direction being NNE each day (specifically 18degrees, 31degrees, 27degrees and 32degrees, respectively).

I'm going to hope that the NNE direction gives us some cover and we go diving each day.

Well, the wind is blowing 20 gusting to 40 from the NW right now here in Austin. This kind of blow usually gets to Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom