Comments re: "Dive Palancar" at Allegro Hotel and Occidental Grand Hotel -Punta Sur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Cozumel for a month at the end of May.

I'm considering using "Dive Palancar" at the Allegro Hotel and Occidental Grand Hotel because they have secure lockers, nice sized boats and is located in the southern part of the island which I've never dove.

I am very interested in diving "Punta Sur" too.

I would appreciate comments on their operation as well as diving Punta Sur.

Thanks,

Sy

I don't believe Dive Palancar is located at the Allegro any more.

I don't believe Dive Palancar is located at the Allegro any more.
Nope, I think they got booted recently.
secure lockers are easy to find at various operators, but if you want an All Inclusive far from town, it's probly a good resort. I use cheaper ones closer to town, more local flair.

nice sized boats - cattle boats are more comfortable in ways, whoever is at the Allegro now. I was on one once when I was glad they had a head, altho I usually take care of business earlier and take the smaller, faster boats with more matched divers.

the southern part of the island which I've never dove - generally nicer, deeper wall divers further south from town yeah, but you should have no problem getting any operator to take you there. Big local boat, or smaller & faster boat coming down from the marina or town. On a cattle boat, the newbies will more than likely follow a different DM on top of the wall, but I've seen newbies taken down, and I've seen experienced divers stuck on less interesting divers at times.​
This forum is for announcing trips open to others. You'll get more info on the main Cozumel forum.

Hi Dandy,

Thanks for your feedback,

Actually though, I am renting a Condo instead of staying at a hotel and want to find a good operator in the Southern part of the Island.

Sy-

Nope, I think they got booted recently.
secure lockers are easy to find at various operators, but if you want an All Inclusive far from town, it's probly a good resort. I use cheaper ones closer to town, more local flair.

nice sized boats - cattle boats are more comfortable in ways, whoever is at the Allegro now. I was on one once when I was glad they had a head, altho I usually take care of business earlier and take the smaller, faster boats with more matched divers.

the southern part of the island which I've never dove - generally nicer, deeper wall divers further south from town yeah, but you should have no problem getting any operator to take you there. Big local boat, or smaller & faster boat coming down from the marina or town. On a cattle boat, the newbies will more than likely follow a different DM on top of the wall, but I've seen newbies taken down, and I've seen experienced divers stuck on less interesting divers at times.​
This forum is for announcing trips open to others. You'll get more info on the main Cozumel forum.

Hi Dandy,

Thanks for your feedback,

Actually though, I am renting a Condo instead of staying at a hotel and want to find a good operator in the Southern part of the Island.

Sy-
Good operators are the norm on Cozumel as a bad one wouldn't do well with the competition - altho there are a few I've tried I don't want to dive with again for various reasons. Choices depend a the mix of variables you prefer.

If you're staying away from docks and have to drive anyway, I guess you can drive to the marina to go with one of those who dock there, or to a southern resort to find parking and hike to the dock. Dive Palancar may still be operating at another resrot, you could ask them or ask on the Coz forum who knows, and/or ask who is at Allegro now.

:shocked2:
I'd have to say that this falls under the category of T.M.I.!!!

:lol:​
Well, I was trying to be subtle about the idea. Something to plan on if you're going to be on a boat without a head, as many of us Coz fans prefer, as they don't stop at beach clubs for the SI like they used to. The beach clubs decided the customers were not doing any business on the SI stops, just using the facilities.

I saw a diver from my boat in Roatan in Feb strip off his wet suit, take a life ring, and go back in the water to tend to business - with other divers still down. We told him we were looking forward to the video. :eek:

The new operator at the Allegro is Pro Dive Mexico. They constantly recieve raving reviews on tripadvisor and I tried them my self, second week of april when I stayed at the Allegro. They are very professional, have friendly staff and great boats (not too big, nor too small), and dive groups are kept personal and planned according to experience level. As they just moved in, all gear they rent is brand new (scubapro gear..regs, bcd's, suits, new compressor and tanks) and the best they even offer nitrox for free if you are qualified. I think thats unheard of on the island... I did contact them before arriving, they responded very promptly and efficient to my emails, and i received 10% off for prebooking with them. Their email is info@prodivemex.com. I highly recommend!:goingdown:

It's all about the warhammer.

:diver:
:turd:

Plan ahead. Forget the wetsuit for that dive. Drop back from the group. And, remember this is drift diving so MOVE INTO A DIFFERENT CURRENT STREAM. TTMI

Back
Top Bottom