Commercial diver makes the news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a case of rec diver doing commercial work.

It also sounds like a bunch of OSHA/Coast Guard regs were violated to boot.

Very sad for all involved.

Quote from article: "I think he panicked," Carson said.

There it is. Very sad...

Weight yourself to stay negative, 50 lbs.,so working the bottom is less strenous. Plus most umbilical diver do not use a bouyancy device because they are surface tended. Why he took off his mask would seem to be that he wasn't getting air. A secondary air source, pony bottle, should have been in use. The Navy lost a diver in Japan recently when the umbilcal became fouled in heavy seas. Unless the tender does a good job of umbilical management things like this can occur. Condolenses to the family.

Also it is a good idea to do practice bailout at the start of employment with a new company and at the start of each season so that the correct responses are fresh.

An hour of familiarization on unfamiliar equipment?

Another thought jumps to mind. My scuba instructor told us that most divers die with their weight belts still on.

Truly sad, that another diver has added to that particular statistic.........

I only hope that if I were ever in such a circumstance I would remember to ditch the weight.............

I noticed no mention of O2 on the boat either, I am in agreement with pipedope

Sounds like a case of rec diver doing commercial work

It is more common than not unfortunately, golf ball diving, commercial fisheries, small vessel maint... hard to make it in this type of business following the OSHA regulations...

It is sad for the guy trying to make a few extra bucks diving but it seems to continue to happen.

I am very sorry for the family but interested in what OSHA will do about the case.

In Maine a few years age they successfully charged the captain of the vessel for the death of a "sub-contracted" fisherman diver...

Jeff Lane

U. S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

U. S. Coast Guard

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Oct. 31, 2003
For more information contact:
Chief Petty Officer Roger W. Wetherell
Phone: (907) 463-2065
(907) 463-2000 After 4 p.m. ADT
Coast Guard Public Affairs
Release #208-03
Coast Guard releases initial diver incident findings

JUNEAU, Alaska - Coast Guard incident investigators released Thursday initial findings surrounding the death of a Ketchikan diver in Southeast Alaska.

According to Coast Guard commercial fishing vessel examiner Tim Clepper of the Marine Safety Detachment in Ketchikan, 33-year-old Michael R. Anderson of Ketchikan died while diving for sea cucumbers when he experienced a lack of oxygen for 5-to-10 minutes.

Anderson's diving incident began at 9:09 a.m. Tuesday while in the water, and working from the vessel Clearlight.

A Clearlight crewmember looked into the water and noticed Anderson unmasked and in distress. He promptly called on the dive intercom reporting Anderson's distress.

The second diver assisted the crewmember in recovering Anderson and began dive rescue CPR.

Crews from nearby dive vessels assisted in performing CPR. The Coast Guard received a distress radio call and launched a Coast Guard Air Station Sitka helicopter crew. On scene, Coast Guard rescuers continued CPR on Anderson and transported him to Ketchikan General Hospital where officials there pronounced him dead.

Clepper also revealed that Anderson's diving gear included rigging that consisted of a mask, a bailout bottle, an air line hose.

"People need to train, train, train and be comfortable with their apparatus," said Clepper. "Commercial fishing in Alaska is still one of the most dangerous occupations in the U.S. that includes dive harvesting. Past fatalities in this fishery didn't result from diving, but resulted from poor seamanship decisions, and diving from un-seaworthy vessels," said Clepper.

The Coast Guard learned that the incident occurred after Anderson's second day diving with the gear he wore. He participated in the sea cucumber harvest opener that began Monday.

Clepper said that the incident's cause remains under investigation.

The U.S. Coast Guard is a military, maritime, multi-mission service within the Department of Homeland Security dedicated to protecting the safety and security of America.

Return to News Release Index
Return to October News Release Index
Contact the 17th District Webmaster
17th District Home

U.S. Coast Guard (Pacific Area) Online
U. S. Coast Guard Home
Friday, October 31, 2003 12:02:02 PM

"hard to make it in this type of business following the OSHA regulations..."

...hard to make a buck following the rules, but easy to make the grave...

D.S.D.

Back
Top Bottom