Commercial Diver ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A big difference between the Navy and commercial work is in the navy you can refuse a dive no questions asked. Try that in the civilian world and your unemployed. Do it a few times and that old Black Ball could be raised over your head.

If you enjoy sport diving that enjoyment could be in for a major change once you start commercial work. A small percentage make the big bucks while a large percentage do the bulk of the work.

Lots to look at before you leap. Make sure it is for you and if you leap start putting $$ into a retirement fund of some sort from day one. Retirement comes early in that business.

Gary D.

When I first got involved with diving some 35 years ago I was in the position of having to contract and supervise diving teams on various jobs around the world so naturally after hanging around with these guys they started giving me a few lessons here and there and I got into it. But I never felt the least wish to become a professional diver.
Conditions were very variable and most of the time a real pain. Dirty water, poor vis, bad weather, terrible air fills (especially in out of the way exotic places) - but the job had to be done and the dive had to be completed.
Occasionally (very) some really nice location but this was the exception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom