Commuter airline to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let us know if you find out anything useful and how you wind up setting this up. We're faced with the same problem in early March, getting into SAP at 3PM on American.

thanks

The resort where we are staying arranges their own charters from San Pedro Sula to Utila. The price was similar or better than SOSA depending on which travel agent I got info from.

Last edited:
Getting to Utila is sometimes challenging. I started Guanaja Air last year and am now based on Utila. I fly a Britten Norman Islander We are the only twin engine airplane flying charter. You can contact us at Guanajaair.com or my direct email at lagonia@aol.com. My cell phone here in Honduras is 9558 8683. We fly to and from Roatan, LaCeiba and San Pedro direct to Utila.
Best regards,Captain Angelo Lagonia

I am looking for flight from Utila -> Roatan (and the other way possibly as well). We have a return flight to US from Roatan at 1pm, so we could ride with Vern (or the other ferrys) and get there in time, but it looks like there are some flights for not that much more, but I can't seem to find how to book them. (Atlantic Airlines?). We are two pp. with 2 bags (one dive gear, one luggage).

Curious also - there is $34 departure tax at airport - I assume this is only for the flight back to the US.

Thanks!
Jeremy

I am looking for flight from Utila -> Roatan (and the other way possibly as well). .... but I can't seem to find how to book them.

What DandyDon said...

I organized a group trio here on SB once to Utila, suggesting everyone fly to Roatan and connect there to a local airline to Utila. ..... we booked the local flights thru Welcome to Roatan Charter : Honduras and Belize Travel Wholesalers since 1981 You could phone them and ask about RTB-Utila flights.

800 282-8932

Or there's Capt. Vern's Catamaran - Ferry between Roatan & Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras, daily with Capt Vern on the Nina Elisabeth II Catamaran It's closer to $20 cab fare since he leaves from Coconut Tree's dock on the West End. $110 r/t pp.

Has anybody done this? This is currently our #1 option, so just wondering what people's experiences with it are. It sounds more fun than taking 2 ferries and stopping on the mainland, if nothing else.

Well....my OP is over a year old but.....Laguna Beach where we stayed will arrange a charter to Utila from either San Pedro Sula or Roatan. It worked out great last year and we are going again this year. We fly into San Pedro Sula instead of Roatan simply because we can get a better price on airfare.
I suggest you contact the place you plan to stay and ask if they can make similar arrangements. The price of the charter is basically the same price as the commuter and is a LOT more convenient.

Thanks for the link. That puts another spin on things, so I'll take another look into flights and the ferries via La Ceiba. I had read somewhere about crime on/around the ferries, so I'm little weary of that, and it appears from email correspondence my buddy has had with Steve (aka deepbluedivers), our intended travel dates aren't really compatible with inter-island flights.

Oreo
I'm not sure what airport you are planning to fly into but if you go to San Pedro Sula, you have to go to La Ceiba to catch the ferry to Utila.
Here is the link for the bus Hedman Alas ::: Leaders & Innovators of land transportation in Central America Since 1952 :::
The bus company has an office inside the airport.
Here's the problem....Most of the flights from the US to San Pedro Sula arrive around noon.
There's a good chance you won't be able to get to La Ceiba in time to catch the ferry and will have to stay overnight in La Ceiba.
FYI....Go to youtube and type in Hedman Alas. There's a video on taking the bus from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba. Gotta love the internet!
Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom