comparison of Nikon DSLR's cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you want super high ISO, go with Nikon. You want great video capability, go with Canon.

Better to wait for them to invent phase detection focusing in live-view mode.

great info

The D90, D7000, D300, and D300s are all excellent cameras.. I find that the lower end models like the D5100 perform quite differently and I generally don't recommend them. Good luck with your purchase! - Scott

An attempt to get you off the fence:wink: D7000, Tokina 10-17mm, eventually add the Kenko 1.4 telecoverter for it, Sigma 17-70HSM, Nikon 60mm, eventually the 105mm, add to that a 2xTeleconverter for super macro, add to that any of the wet macro lenses for super, super macro, Ike, Sea&Sea, Aquatica or Nauticam housing, 4" Dome, 8" dome, or if you like over/unders one of the mega domes, flat port, video/focus light in the 1200 lumen or greater range, will want to add a second video/focus light when you get hooked on shooting video (note can rationalize as also your dive light), S&S, Ike, Inon strobes the more power the better. With that you are now ready for the cover of the National Geographic and any issues CANNOT be blamed on the gear, lol.

Another factor to consider is the overal cost of the setup not just the cost of the housing alone. Alot of people go for Ikelite as their housings are cheaper than an Aluminium housing for the same model camera. But when you add the total package quiet often or not the Aluminium setup is only a few hundred dollars more than the Ikelite.

Example:

Ikelite D7000 housing with two Ikelite DS160 strobes, 2 spare battery packs, smart charger, digital sync cord is approximately $3800

Aquatica Ad7000 with two Inon Z240 strobes, few sets of Sanyo eneloops AA, smart charger, and optical fibre cords is approximately $4200

The benefit of an Aluminium housing is that they are more compact, robust, have better control layout and much smoother controls. They have more accessories like Viewfinders and mini domes where ikelite doesnt have which means the Aluminium housing has more room to grow with the photgrapher down the track when they get more experience. The Aluminium housing and Inon z240 strobe setup is more compact especially when travelling overseas compared to the ikelite housing/strobe setup.

A buyer of a new DSLR setup should take this into consideration and basically put an kelite package next to an Aluminium package like an Aquatica or Nauticam and compare the over feel and design and see if that small extra cost makes ecomonical sense at the end of the day.

Regards Mark

nn the 1200 lumen or greater range, will want to add a second video/focus light when you get hooked on shooting video (note can rationalize as also your dive light

I know using this rational is what I did.

I love my D90, only thing I wish it had was better video like the D7000. Housing (Nauticam anyway) for the D90 is cheaper too.

In both Aquatica and Nauticam it looks like about an $800 price jump from the D90 to the D7000 housings. The cameras (body only) are about $500 difference. Thats $1300. That is enough for me to "economize".
What tyoe of shooting do you plan to do?
Most of your macro and CFWA will be with strobes and a very low ISO setting. High ISO will mostlybe a concern in ambient light shooting.
I have only used the video once and with a 10.5 fisheye set to infinity. I really did not buy the DSLR to take videos with but under stand the appeal. I have used the D7000 for work and the video is better but focus is slow.
I got a smokin good deal on a Nauticam housing but I was going to go with Aqautica. Both are great. I am buying another D90 soon as I am sure the housing will outlast the camera.
I guess if you can swallow the $1300 bump on the D7000 I would go that route. If cash is a concern, D90 for me.
Just a tip, I have heard its a gamble but I have had great luck with lenses on EBAY. When the new 60mm came out ebay was flooded (oops, dirty word) with the old 60mm. I paid less than 1/2 retail and have never had an issue. Also picked up a 10.5 fisheye for $300. No issues.
Good luck.

Scotttyd: I'll throw my lot in with those saying to go with the D7000. I've been using a pair of D90s for a few years now and really like them. I was pretty stoked with the specs on the D7000 - even more so when I read Kerri Wilk's review. But for the difference between the two, I can't justify the money. Agree with others that for the total expence you are going put out, there is no sense in picking up old technology.

I live in the Raleigh area - PM me sometime if you want to see what you are getting yourself into... I might also be able to help you get started once you pick the rig up. Drysuit... Fantasy Lake...

I would not underestimate the improved ISO technology in the newer Nikon cameras. When shooting available light images being able to push the ISO to get faster shutter speeds is really helpful. The last two trips where I have seen Whale Sharks, flash photography was not allowed. My D2x struggled on cloudy days to get decent images (ISO 400 somewhat OK, 800 useless, IMO). So I would vote for the D700/7000. Just sold both D2Xs so now I have to do something...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom