Competing in the Internet World.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
It's costs a lot to hold inventory. It ties up you capital. Your premise is selling more inentory, but you don't take into account how long it will take to sell it. Selling more inventory increases sales, but it doesn't necessarily increase profit. You can have more people doing more work to make the same profit.

I do agree with some of what you are saying, but I think the volumes here are well within the scope of most shops.

TheRedHead:
I don't really know the dive business, but I would assume that a customer would take up a lot of time to purchase 1 regulator. You would have to calculate the real cost of selling a regulator. If you can make twice as much profit selling 2 regulators, then you are no better off selling 4 regulators at a reduced price because you have increased labor.

Even if the overall profit from those 4 regulators are a wash you still win becase you have 4 happy cutomers instead of 2. A big part of increaseing the volume of a business is creating repeat customers. Repeat customers take less labor to sell.

catchaser:
An LDS certifies a class of 10 divers. At the end of the class, 5 of them are going to buy their own gear. (Lets just use a computer as an example.)

List price of said computer is $379.95 cost is $189.98
If you sell the computer at 10% off list for $341.95 1 of the 5 buys it for a total profit of $151.97
If you sell the computer at 30% off list for $265.96 3 of the 5 buys it for a total profit of $227.94
If you sell the computer at 35% off list for $246.96 5 of the 5 buys it for a total profit of $284.90

I'm being conservative on my estimates saying that only half of the people certified will buy their own gear. Surely it's more than half. I also used 35% because that will get you pretty close to everyone on the internet. Usually anything lower than that is a closeout of some kind.

You also should consider that if you can sell to all 5 of them some will by a higher end computer when presented with such good deals. In that case you will increase your profit even more because of the higher priced computer.

If you look at this example you see that it does not take huge volumes to realize greater profits. You have also created a happy group of repeat customers. You have a captive group of students that already trust you. Don't let them go somewhere else. These are your customers to loose. When they go home and research the internet they will find one of two things. Either they are getting as good a deal at the LDS as offered anywhere in the world, or they will find a better deal somewhere else.

There are shops out there right now making this model work and being very successful at it. I just wish more would do it but some cities have only the 10% off type shops so people go home and buy from the internet.

consider yourself lucky if 2 out of ten purchase their gear from the lds that taught them..most never go past mask-fins-snorkel/rental stage.

I think the best strategy for a small business - even on the Net - is to offer outstanding service where price point won't make or break your business. My LDS sells Aqualung/Apeks regs at almost full retail and can't keep enough in stock. They certify 10 to 15 OW students a week, plus teach the university classes. How are they doing this? If I were a retailer, that's what I would want to know and to emulate it. In a price war, the smaller company will always lose. I have to compete with large companies and I can't do it on price. I have to devise other strategies.

catchaser:
Even if the overall profit from those 4 regulators are a wash you still win becase you have 4 happy cutomers instead of 2. A big part of increaseing the volume of a business is creating repeat customers. Repeat customers take less labor to sell.

So, you'd be better off with four "repeat customers" on whom you have severly limited profitablity?

The smart thinking in marketing these days is that you'd be better off with just the two customers paying higher prices. Focus on a smaller number of more valuable customers. This is true for several reasons...

- They're more profitable per transaction
- They've already shown that they are less price sensitive, so likely willing to spend more overall AND per transaction
- It takes even 'LESS labor to sell' two customers versus four

That's not to say that you can't be hugely profitable by selling a million units a day at a dollar profit per unit, but it's almost impossible to compete that way unless you're amazon.com.

I agree that the bricks and mortar LDS has got to learn to better compete in the world of e-commerce, but trying to do it on price is like putting a gun to their own heads.

I do not sell dive gear. I work in another industry just as plagued by the internet: a full service jewelry store. Customers come in with reams of paper showing how much less they can get a piece of jewelry or a diamond for, or bring in their internet wonder either for us to service or to tell them how great a deal they made.
There are several ways we compete, but it's frustrating and often infuriating. Realisticly though, the internet is here to stay and you have to adapt and compete, or die.
We survived by moving upstream, choosing to be careful to deal mostly with higher end designers and manufacturers who police their retail clients, cutting off those who resell on the net at cutthroat discounts. We let customers feel the jewelry and look at it next to various "comparable" items, so they can experience the differences. Many customers will return an internet purchase and purchase the read deal, when you handle them gently, and let them see the difference for themselves, without ever actually putting down their original supplier or item. We are not afraid to match a discount to make the sale, but do not make a public issue of it. We offer full service, with professional repair on sight; often at no charge for merchandise we've sold. We also repair those internet purchases, and charge VERY well for the service!
My employer has grown into a multi million $ business by facing any and all competitors head on. Your competition will always be changing: years ago it was "wholesale"ers, today it's the net and tomorrow it will be something else. You can complain (and we sure do!), but if you can't adapt and find a way to compete with each new phase of competition, you will end up going the way of Montgomery Wards and Wolworths.
There is a saying the Japanese are credited with: "business is war". You can't fight todays wars with Civil War swords, but that does not mean you don't fight!

RJP3:
I agree that the bricks and mortar LDS has got to learn to better compete in the world of e-commerce, but trying to do it on price is like putting a gun to their own heads.

I would think not being price competative is like putting a gun to their own heads.

I am the customer that dives every weekend but my budget is not unlimited. I will be a diver for life and I would hope an LDS would want me to be a cutomer for life. I do prefer to buy at the LDS but I won't pay retail and If I don't get the discounts my diving buget requires I'll buy from the internet. I'm definately not one of those two customers paying higher prices.

jpsexton:
I would think not being price competative is like putting a gun to their own heads.

I'm definately not one of those two customers paying higher prices.

It depends really, it's quite possible to go out of business one sale at a time. Look what happened to the cellular phone companies. They were wildly successful UNTIL they started trying to compete on price and gain marketshare. Once they did they collapsed.

Again it's a business decision, but you're much more likely to make money when PRICE is NOT the factor that drives your business.

And as to the customer that is THAT price sensitive? I'd probably let you go elsewhere because apparently there's no possible way for me to earn your loyalty, and as said above loyal customers are where the real money is at. Or I'd know you'll buy your big ticket items on the web and I'll have to be content making a few bucks on you on tank fills and snap bolts - and do that while trying to earn your loyalty - and money - on the other stuff.

I'm not saying you should blindly buy stuff at the LDS for MSRP, I'm saying that as a marketer you need to decide on an overall pricing strategy and stick with it. The allure of the "quick price-match sale" is illusory.

RJP3:
And as to the customer that is THAT price sensitive? I'd probably let you go elsewhere because apparently there's no possible way for me to earn your loyalty, and as said above loyal customers are where the real money is at. Or I'd know you'll buy your big ticket items on the web and I'll have to be content making a few bucks on you on tank fills and snap bolts - and do that while trying to earn your loyalty - and money - on the other stuff.

You see thats the thing about the whole LDS vs Internet debate that goes on everyday that I think some retailers don't understand. If I lived in Dallas I'd be 100% loyal to ScubaToys, Decatur 100% loyal to Divesports, Macon 100% loyal to Divers Supply, One of several cities in Florida 100% loyal to Divers Direct. I would'nt go anywhere else because I would'nt have to. I'd know I was getting the best price and service available without all the uncomfortable haggleing. But I don't live in any of those places and you pretty much described my relashionship with my LDS. I have two divers in my family and working on a third, I simply can't afford to be that cutomer you descibe. I know I'm not the only one.

RJP3:
Again it's a business decision, but you're much more likely to make money when PRICE is NOT the factor that drives your business.

If as a local dive shop (or almost any other non-chain retail operation) you are trying make a living on customers who are solely price driven, you won't be in business for long - small independant resellers have a very hard time competing on price with chains/volumn sellers. The bookstore industry is a perfect illustration of this - 20 years ago Washington, DC had tons of small independant booksellers - today there are a few niche independants left. Crown (a now defunct discount bookstore chain) moved into neighborhoods with independants and stocked more titles in whatever niche that independant specialized in - Crown has been replaced by Barnes and Noble and Borders, and only a few specialty book stores are left. Amazon will probably eventually kill those.

The local scuba shop has three advantages over bookstores, however. Gear needs servicing, tanks need filling and divers need/like to take classes - LeisurePro can't compete in those areas. And once you have customers in your shop, you make value added sales. My LDS offers lifetime discounts on the service of regs you buy there. You can make up the price difference on an internet purchase in two years on some regulators - plus they'll set it up for you and do free maintenance checks. That's how you make money as a local LDS.

The resale price of an item is the result of attempting to balance the supply and demand.....the customer sets the purchase price of an item, not the retailer. I look at retail price as having what I call a "strike" value. The retailer must find the "strike" price of an item if they want to move that item.

When demand is low and supply is large, the price must be lower to "balance" the market. The level to which a price falls is the "strike" price.....the price that will start a stagnant item moving.

What kills most local dive stores is a misunderstanding of this simple rule.

In most cases, the local scuba retailer is serving a VERY limited market. Many scuba stores are located in natural markets with a population of under 50,000. When you consider that only about 1% of the population participates in scuba diving, that retailer is serving a very limited number of potential customers. The result....there is limited DEMAND for the new regulator, bc, or computer. The retailer then sets the price quite high and has an almost unimited supply. When the supply is large, the demand is limited, and the retail price is high.......sales will be very slow. The nature of economic laws would dictate that this supplier must lower price to move merchandise and limit the supply. Supply and demand MUST be balanced for ANY business to make money.

Those of us in the on-line scuba business don't discount simply because we want to be the low price supplier. We discount to reach the "strike" price of any particular item. Trust me, if we could sale at a higher price, that is exactly what we would be doing. Internet scuba stores radically expand their potential market by enlarging their natural market. As the demand increases as a result of this larger natural market, we must radically increase our inventory to serve the varied interests of the larger and more diverse market. As our inventory increases, this again puts the market out of balance. We lower price to find the "strike" price to move our larger inventory. The lower price means a lower margin. We are then forced to make larger purchases to lower our wholesale price, thereby increasing our margin. The whole cycle starts over again.

This is important to remember: Each item has some price level that will cause the demand for that item to radically increase. As you have seen, I am calling this the "strike" price. Our experience at Dive Sports Online with finger spools is a perfect example. The "going price" for finger spools was about $25 to $40. This price had the market fairly in balance. Supply was about equal to demand. Sales of finger spools was relatively limited and fairly consistent. I would image that a retailer, even in the most technical market, would be extremely happy to sell say 50 per year. We lowered the price of finger spools to $15 and advertised them widely. The result was that additional demand was created. This resulted in the sale of over 800 finger spools, to retail customers, is a little less than three months.

ANYONE that thinks prices doesn't matter is making a serious mistake. Heck, the scuba industry is a living perfect example of why price matters. You can offer tons of services, all sorts of "added value", throw in freebies, whatever you want. If your price is too high, you will not succeed. If price didn't matter, there would be no Wal Mart, Office Depot, Home Depot, or any of the other stores known for lower prices. The walked into a balanced market for literally millions of items and proved that price not only matters, it is often the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of retailing.

Anyway, just my opinion.........

Famous Last Retailer Words: "I don't want to be known as the lowest cost supplier...I want to provide such good service that price will not matter". (Annon, probably a bankrupt retailer)

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom