compressor on a boat, converting to water cooled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, so if you blow the cool air in with a portable A/C, how will you make sure you get it to the right place? Can you rig a duct strong enough to withstand the rigors of the ocean, yet portable enough to get out of the way easily when you need it to do maintenance? Remember, boat. You'll do maintenance twice as often as you do with the garage compressor. You have to duct your cool air to the back of the compressor, if it's like any compressor I've ever seen. The fan blows front to back.

Good Point. Next time Im at the boat I will have to get pictures of that area to start to draw out the ductwork. I don't want to go to crazy yet, as the boat isn't even mine yet! Hopefully soon, and Im very excited about this boat.

For the A/C- I was thinking about a self contained permanently mounted 5-6BTU unit.

Good Point. Next time Im at the boat I will have to get pictures of that area to start to draw out the ductwork. I don't want to go to crazy yet, as the boat isn't even mine yet! Hopefully soon, and Im very excited about this boat.

For the A/C- I was thinking about a self contained permanently mounted 5-6BTU unit.

Any is better than nothing. Even ducting warm fresh air is better than recirculating bilge air. An old fisherman once told me that the troubles I was having with my Detroits was caused by lack of air in my engineroom, and if it were his boat, he'd duct fresh air directly into the engines. Rebuilding each engine was costing me about $40k, and I was rebuilding one per year at about 6,000 hours. I finally got to a point where I could afford to do what he said, although I end the ducts right above the engines, not directly into the turbo suction. My 2 oldest engines have 18,000 hours on them, I last rebuilt them in 2005, and the newer one has 6,000 hours on it, I swapped it out in 2008. I am a firm believer that mechanical equipment likes lots of fresh air. 2 big blowers and the engineering to install them has saved me about $250k I figure.

Does this new boat have AC power?

Does this new boat have AC power?

Yes. The hydraulics (capstan and compressor are driven from hydraulics) are both on a clutch off of the generator as well. So any time the compressor is running, the AC power will already be running anyway.

Back
Top Bottom