Compressor Recommendations 4 small dive shop PLEASE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of mixed feelings on the benefit of an air bank when filling bulk numbers of tanks. It can let you time shift your air fills, and possibly extend the life of the filter media by running the compressor when it is cooler out, with lower humidity etc. It is also nice to have if you are going to find yourself filling the odd one off tank, but for most resort like situations you would be better off buying more scuba tanks to have a surplus of filled tanks on hand. In other words it would be nice to have, and particularly nice if you decide to add nitrox to your setup later.

Ike

There is an advantage to not using banks and just filling direct off the compressor. Most of the compressor heat and wear occurs when the compressor is at the highest pressures. If the pressures are cycling up and down because of shifting from full to empty tanks, then there is kind of a "relaxation" period before the pressure gets back up. It is a little tougher on it with bulk tanks since it will be sitting at high pressure for long periods of time generating heat.

Hi all
Thanks for the Info So far everything is helpful, I have also talked to a few dealers and someone suggested the Bauer Mariner 320 and the Bauer Posiden Range something like the 300HE or similar other wise a Coltrisub was suggested with 2 units inside one cabinet that run together (not sure the model number) - Anyone have any idea about these especially the Bauer Posiden are they any good ??
Thanks Mark

I would say go for the bauer!!

When I had bauer mini-virticus it never gave me an ounce of bother and everyone I know who has a bauer has nothing but good things to say.

The last dive centre I ran had two of those Coltrisub 2 units inside one cabinet configuration and the main advantage was that when one broke down it could go in for repairs and you still had three units pumping. Which was just as since it seemed like there was always one in the shop.

I am looking at the Mariner 320 as my next compressor – about 14,000 euro new for the base model

I would say go for the bauer!!

When I had bauer mini-virticus it never gave me an ounce of bother and everyone I know who has a bauer has nothing but good things to say.

The last dive centre I ran had two of those Coltrisub 2 units inside one cabinet configuration and the main advantage was that when one broke down it could go in for repairs and you still had three units pumping. Which was just as since it seemed like there was always one in the shop.

I am looking at the Mariner 320 as my next compressor – about 14,000 euro new for the base model

Get back to work Mr.Black...:D

After reading all of the posts, here's my recommendation after 35+ years of experience worth: Get yourself 2 Bauer Mariners (used is fine so long as low hours). They are reliable, easily repaired, and parts are readily available. Next choice would be 2 Coltri MCH 13/16.

In either case, be certain the blocks are identical so as to be able to canibalize parts should the emergency arise..you'll always have at least one machine running. Also be certain you have adequate power available.

As to air storage - its ALWAYS recommended if possible. And upgrading purifiers....absolutely! Nitrox capability - also, absolutely! Auto drain - good to have. Without it someone will have to constantly tend the machines in order to drain condensate every 20-30 minutes. But ACD's will be a maintenance concern sooner or later. Be equipped to repair them (or overide them) on short notice.

Mark, If you haven't purchased a compressor by -- you might want to consider my recommendation.
I build compressors using all new commercial components except the compressor. I use military compressors that are very high quality and are suitable for extended run times. These compressor are still being manufactured by Meggitt Industries for military applications and are very expensive.
I have sold units for over 40 years and used them exclusively in my own dive shop for 25 years. I have sold over 600 units in this time to fire departments, scuba shops and air gunners.
I would recommend the following: purchase two 7 cfm Noah Howden compressors from me with out filter systems on them. Total cost for both units would be $7000 ( plus shipping)Then purchase one large filter system that will handle up to 15 CFM with one large moisture trap and three P - 31 inch filter housings installed on the wall of your shop with four fill whips (Cost about $3500). This will give you option of running one or both compressors when you need them.
The 7 CFM noah howden compressors are used in the M-60 tanks, the Phalanx gun systems and the Chaparrel missile systems.
I also supply with each compressor at no cost to you -two complete military depot repair kits that have all the valves, bearings, seals, springs, etc. needed to completely overhaul these compressors (original military cost $1107.00/kit.)
I would be happy to talk to you about this system and you can see the single units on my web sit < sheldensportinggoods.com >
Look at my posting on scubaboard and the comments of individuals who are using my compressors if you want good references.
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

Bauer is good. I have a Mariner and I also have a BIG Eagle which is a Davey.

My Mariner just snapped the crankshaft in 2 pieces with only 120 hrs on it since the overhaul. Unit has a total of 250 hours on it I am told and was worked over just because it sat idle for so many years. Pics are below. Seems to be a isolated to the older Bauer, late 80's, freak thing that I have the expensive pleasure of having to go thru.

The only reason I mention this is Bauer is familiar with this in their late 80's / early 90's compressors. I wanted you to know about that time period. My compressor is an '88 that looks like new. You can't go by looks.

Touch base with Ed down at Blue Grotto. He rebuilds and deals with alot of compressors and he will point you in the right direction. 352-207-4001. I bought one from him for $ 4,500 delivered that looks BRAND NEW and he warranties it for 1 year, bumper to bumper so to speak. Anything I have ever needed he has tried to help me on.

Set up your compressor for blending if you do Nitrox, it will save you a bunch of filling time. All you will do is top off what someone already had in their tank that they bring you.

Send me a PM if you have any questions, I will give you my number.

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 99
Hi All

Thanks for All Advice - pretty Much had decided on the Bauer probably a 320 or similar
Thanks Frogman62 for that info also But the maldives has a Bauer Dealer and service centre and the staff have been sent to Germany for Training so Better to stick to a make I can get parts for and fixed easily if needs arise.

Thanks All
Mark

I like the Bauer brand because their parts are durable and readily available, and they have service techs all over the world to support them in addition to the factory staff. I have seen Bauer models that last 30-50 years with proper maintenance, which reduces their cost overall. I agree with Rjack321 that a Mariner/JrII would not fill be sufficient 40 tanks a day. Here's how to do the math to figure out your minimum compressor size: Multiply # of tanks/day (40) times the tank size (80cf) = 3200. Divide 3200 by the charging rate, and then divide that by 60 (minutes per hour) and you will find how long it will take to fill your tanks daily. So for example, the Bauer Divemate with a charging rate of 8.4 would fill 40 tanks in 6 hours and 20 minutes. The DiveMate E3 (Three phase electric) is just under $9000, and the Gas model is about the same. If you wanted to go beefier, I would look at the Bauer K150II block, such as the Vertecon VTC 20-E3 with a 21 charging rate at $22,000 which shortens your fill time to about 2 and 1/2 hours. Think about the cost of your staff when you calculate your fill times- if you go with the manual drain, you will have to have staff to do it, whereas with the ACDrain, you won't have to babysit the compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom