Compressor recommendations for home / club use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He did include depreciation of the compressor, and did so more aggressively than necessary. He fully depreciated it, which is more expensive per fill than a more accurate calculation. I mean, I'd pay him $100 for that compressor setup right now....so it clearly doesn't have zero value, which he did assume. :D. That was the $1.48 value.

As for opportunity cost, it's REALLY hard to calculate that. What would you do, assume 8% in a growth stock mutual fund? Or index it to DJI and look at what it could've grown to?

Its also hard to calculate the money you would spend driving to and from a shop for fills (gas). And - to me - the number one thing and almost impossible to put a dollar value on is the convenience of owning a compressor. Now that I am set up with a delivery account for He and O2. All I ever need to do is go into my garage and I can quickly be prepared for any dive without leaving my house. The conveniene and flexibility this has offered is invaluable.

The post by AWAP is actually from my web site, it is my Bauer Junior II compressor. As has been pointed out, I fully depreciated the cost when working out the figures. I reckon I could get a couple of thousand dollars for it if I sold it now, so the cost per fill is a lot less than what I have shown.

When we purchased the compressor 13 years ago there were 4 of us in on the deal. The compressor was based at my place as it was the most convenient for all of us as the others had to go almost past my place when coming home from most dives. I gave the others keys to my side gate, the compressor was kept in a purpose built container that they could access. If they did not have time to fill, they left them at my place and I would fill them when I got a chance. This all worked without a problem.

A few years after the purchase, one partner moved away so we bought out his share. I later moved and took the compressor with me as one of the other partners had by this time got a very large Bauer with fill panel and bank which was installed in the third partner's factory. They only used the Junior II if they went on trips. Since then one of the partners died and my wife bought a share, so I own 2/3 of it.

When we bought the compressor we set rules, including how we would deal with any problems with the sharing. This worked perfectly.

As to the OP request, I would suggest that if you want to do around 20 fills a week you need the next size compressor up from a Junior II. However, a Junior II would handle it, but the filling will be a lot slower.

Happy to answer any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom