Computer not keeping time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starsea

Registered
Reaction score
I have a used i550 that I'm familiarizing myself with (my first dive computer). One of the thing I noticed was the "time of day" seems to fall behind a minute or two over a 24 hour period. Is this unusual for a dive computer? I'm doing a more controlled test now. Haven't check the battery yet (need to order a new O ring) but the previous owner said it was a new battery and the low battery icon isn't flashing so I assume it is good.

A minute or two over a 24 hour period does seem high, but not positive. It could be related to the way it functions in Standby/Off mode. Which shouldn't matter if that's the case, but could be an annoyance. As long as it's keeping proper dive time that would be most important.

I know from time to time I need to reset the time on my Perdix. That's easy enough as I just need to connect it to Shearwater Cloud and it will apply the time from my phone. My Garmin is always connected to my phone, so it is always accurate. IIRC, the Perdix goes into a low power consumption mode when off. It still keeps track of the time, and maybe a few other things. IIRC, it writes the time to memory at a reduced rate when "off" compared to on. If you've got a pool you could confirm time syncs with another device, send the DC on a dive for an hour or two in the deep end, and bring up at the end to make sure they still agree.

I bought a Oceanic VEO 250 as a backup (replacement?☹️). In a 24 hour test the i550 lost around 3.5 minutes while the VEO kept the correct time. I did notice the year on the VEO only goes up to 2019 and the back light doesn't work. Between the two I might survive my next dive. I think my next purchase will be an updated dive chart. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom