Silicone o'ring for Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it ok to use silicone o-rings for dive computers? Specifically I have the Suunto Vyper.

I've read people mention using Buna o-rings but I assume that's just because they're cheap & readily available?

I ask as I already have the correct size silicone o-ring in my o-ring kit & would rather not order new ones if possible.

I wouldn't expect the material to make a difference in a dive computer (but I don't know anything about yours). But your replacement should be the same hardness ("duro") as the original, not just the same size.

I was trying to help you avoid flooding of your computer but it seems that I shouldn't have done that. I have two divers who were cheap and thought that they are very smart when used a generic o'ring for their Suunto VYPER with the same apparent specs and flooded the battery compartment in their computer right after they changed the o'rings with battery change.

I wouldn't expect the material to make a difference in a dive computer (but I don't know anything about yours). But your replacement should be the same hardness ("duro") as the original, not just the same size.
Yes I have the same hardness (70A) and size, it's just that it is silicone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom