Concentration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7:
SSI does a buddy breathing doff and don at the OW level?

R
Was wondering that myself. This came up recently in another thread and I could be wrong, but I think the answer was that this was possibly creative liscense coming from the instructor.:confused: Too much too soon for new divers IMHO.

I have to agree with that. It's not particularly relevent to the current thread as obviously the OP has some issues she's concerned about, but... really doff and don while buddy breathing for OW training?

R

biscuit7:
I have to agree with that. It's not particularly relevent to the current thread as obviously the OP has some issues she's concerned about, but... really doff and don while buddy breathing for OW training?

R

It could be relavent if this is what is causing the distraction in the first place, but the OP already said that it wasn't an issue.

I think it might be an SSI thing/requirement ???.... I read that other post as well.

I get the impression from my shop that every teacher at this store ( there are 6 that I know of... I'm sure there are more) teach this drill. I also think they want us to know this so we don't panic if something goes wrong ( I almost felt as if locally there might be a fear or a large problem with getting entangled and running out of air... or a problem with the regulator/tank). No one in our class really had difficulty with it... it's not that hard in terms of actually performing the drill... I just mentally had a problem... which I'm sure with practice can be eliminated by repetion.. so it becomes second nature.

Well, here is my 2 cents since this is such a weird problem and I might as well come up with a weird answer.

Have you tried this drill with anyone else? You mentioned how close you two are and how comfortable in the water you are with him. Maybe the issue is you are too comfortable with your boyfriend and just kind of zone out and let him “take care of it.” Maybe he is being too nice about it and letting you get away with it because he wants to take care of it for you. Maybe if he jerked the Reg out of your mouth when you zoned out once you would come around…not that I am saying he should do that…just saying if it was someone else you might work harder at getting it right

Airborne!:
Well, here is my 2 cents since this is such a weird problem and I might as well come up with a weird answer.

Have you tried this drill with anyone else? You mentioned how close you two are and how comfortable in the water you are with him. Maybe the issue is you are too comfortable with your boyfriend and just kind of zone out and let him “take care of it.” Maybe he is being too nice about it and letting you get away with it because he wants to take care of it for you. Maybe if he jerked the Reg out of your mouth when you zoned out once you would come around…not that I am saying he should do that…just saying if it was someone else you might work harder at getting it right
That's a good idea. It's pretty common for couples to get split up for at least part of class anyway. Good to practice with different people. Of course, still need to pay attention when diving with him for real!

I have a question:

I know better safe than sorry, but why practice such a skill when your buddy has an alternate reg? I have yet to see a setup without an octopus... Seems kind of obsolete to me. Then again what do I know?

Basically nothing.

Justed wanted to say....

I went on my check out dive.... we didn't have to do this drill in the open water.

But I had no problems doing the basic sharring air drill. Infact I was VERY attentive....

Maybe it was an uncousious thing.... knowing that we were in a pool... etc. I know you are suppose to treat it like real life and I treated every other drill like it was 60 feet down and refused to panic and surface ( instead worked out issues underwater).... oh well... maybe I will never figure out what was going on in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom