Concern over EOS & Hollis 212 Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On some regs just rinsing is not enough. I make it a practice especially after saltwater dives or dives in fresh water with a lot of particulates in the water to take off the front cover and rinse em. Of course being careful to not press the demand lever. Salt and silt will work it;s way into places that you would never think it could in amounts to cause an issue. Found that out early on with my sherwood regs. They have a nice big ring to grip and turn where as some of the smaller newer regs are smooth. It may look good but sucks when they get stuck and you need to get them off.

I agree with Jim. I have Hollis 212 and Oceanic Neo Octo. I try to unscrew the front cover, it was tight. When I get it loose, I notice there are lot of friction. At first I though it was sand getting in the thread, but it is actually salt crystal. From now on, I will take it off everytime after I dive and clean it. Not sure if thi should the the cleaning procedure for all reg, or if this is specific to EOS/212/Neo type of design. Overall, my confident level on Hollis/Oceanic product is kind of low now.

On some regs just rinsing is not enough. I make it a practice especially after saltwater dives or dives in fresh water with a lot of particulates in the water to take off the front cover and rinse em. Of course being careful to not press the demand lever. Salt and silt will work it;s way into places that you would never think it could in amounts to cause an issue. Found that out early on with my sherwood regs. They have a nice big ring to grip and turn where as some of the smaller newer regs are smooth. It may look good but sucks when they get stuck and you need to get them off.

Hi Jim,

When you say careful not to press the demand lever do you mean when the regs aren't pressurised and your giving them a clean??

I'd figure if they're still pressurised you could give them a purge or 2 in safety?

I have HOG regs as well, do you soak or rinse when cleaning if they aren't pressurised?? Is the DIN cap good enough to seal them for a soak??

Loving my regs and want to look after them!

If they are pressurized you could hit the lever without damage. Just keep your finger on it. I do this when making adjustments. As for the DIN cap on HOG regs I would never advise anyone to soak regs and trust the cap alone on any reg. I have a 6 cu ft argon bottle with a DIN connection that is also my drysuit bottle. I use air in it and it is great for soaking regs. If you give them a good rinse when pressurized or in general there is no need to soak them anyway. Part of dive planning is the aftermath as well. I plan time to do logs, rinse gear, hang stuff up, etc. If I were ever going to soak my regs they would be pressurized. I have a 6 cuft suit bottle with a DIN fitting and a 19 with yoke. As well as my 30 and 40 stage bottles that are DIN. I'd fill up my big tupperware bin, not use any public tank, and use the bottles. The 6,19, and 30 will drop right in. The 40 goes in sideways.

Hey jim, thanks for the insight. I learn more everyday here!

Apologies to the OP for the slight diversion but it is kinda relevant as well.

I hear you on the aftermath, I have a little routine now and it eats up to many hours but gets the job done right!!

Back
Top Bottom