conditions at other places (other than So Cal)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawaii is generally pretty good. Although there are some surge days that keep the boats in and make shore dives difficult. Usually Winter or Spring. On those days you may have to travel to find a sheltered spot. I have yet to have called a dive there but some of the re-boardings have to be very carefully timed. Viz is always in the 100' range although usually it's twice as good. :D

Same here in Palos Verdes, LA county. VIS has been bad for quite some time now.
Was thinking of making a trip down to Laguna but have heard the VIS not so good there either.
I have been going over to Catalina where the VIS is usually better.
That is sad to hear, I thought the bad conditions in Laguna were due to the south swell and storms and other nonsense off Baja. Figured Palos Verdes (not being quite so-south facing) would be better. I have never done a shore dive there just twice off a friends boat. Well it can't get worse so...

That is sad to hear, I thought the bad conditions in Laguna were due to the south swell and storms and other nonsense off Baja. Figured Palos Verdes (not being quite so-south facing) would be better. I have never done a shore dive there just twice off a friends boat. Well it can't get worse so...

That's what I was thinking as well. I thought we were suffering alone down here!

I am off to cayman on Monday...if the viz sucks there too, we've got BIG problems!

We were in Key Largo three weeks ago and the rollers were huge and the viz was horrible. On one dive it couldn't have been more than 12 feet. Of the 13 scheduled dives, I only did two because the conditions were so bad. Headed to Jupiter in August and hope it's a whole lot better!

We were in Key Largo three weeks ago and the rollers were huge and the viz was horrible. On one dive it couldn't have been more than 12 feet.
Twelve feet is a pretty good dive for SoCal.

Speaking for Florida:

As of now, many of our caves are blown out :( GA and FL is getting a LOT of rain..causing the rivers to rise/flood, such as the Suwannee. When the pressure of the river becomes to much for the springs to push out, the flow reverses and causes many of our springs to just suck in nasty black river water. It then takes weeks or months for the springs to blow all the nasty stuff back out when the river levels go back down. So we go find a few springs that don't have this issue, or go out and ocean dive.

As for the oceans it depends where we dive, when the last big storms were or how bad the afternoon storms were in the rainy season, algae blooms, water warmth, etc. Sometimes it's infinity vis in some places, the next day it could be greatly reduced.

I'm hoping for clear waters next weekend on my wreck dives :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom